Ask a doctor

Pierced Ear Hole Removal - Lobe - Both Ears - Embarrassing

I'm 33, but had my ears pierced briefly when I was 18. The back of the holes closed, but the visible front holes have remained all of these years. One hole looks like a slight line now. The holes act like large pores. It sounds gross, but I routinely clean them with slight pressure, and they respond like a small white-head being popped. They don't appear bumps. I just wish to not have to answer "yes, I had my ears pierced". Plus, I personally don't like seeing the reminder.

Doctor Answers 10

Piercing holes

In order to get rid of the white heads, your surgeon needs to excise the skin lined tract that exist deep into the earlobe tissue.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Have a question? Ask a doctor

Repair of partially closed earlobe holes.

This happens all the time. Holes can be uneven. Holes can stretch over time, or are stretched after trauma, (kids pulling on earrings).  It sounds like your holes partially closed.  We repair these holes often under local anesthesia in the office. Give your local facial plastic surgeon or board certified plastic surgeon a call.

Jeffrey Roth, MD
Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Fixing an earlobe repair

The best solution would be to surgically revise the piercing hole and remove any excess epithelialized tissue and resuture the earlobe. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

Pierced ear hole removal

Thank you for your question. Your description suggests simple squamous debris being expressed from the old piercing tract. Generally, there is no associated pain or redness. Your condition can be treated with a minor procedure in the office using only local anesthesia. The piercing would be exchanged for a small scar. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

Old piercing reminder can be treated

You are not alone with the "old piercing" reminder.  I have treated patients who have had small piercings to extremely large (2-3 inch diameter) piercings.  Both types can cause ear lobe deformity.   The best way to treat this is remove the skin surrounding the original hole and to design theear lobe tissues to close with the least amount of deformity to the shape of the lobe.  This can be done under local anesthesia and can take 1hr.  Sutures can be removed in 1-2 weeks.   In 3-4 months, you can have a repiercing if you'd like.

Charles K. Lee, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Embarrassing earlobe pierces--what to do?

Excision under local anesthesia will remove the source of the "pimple" sebum that collects in your old pierce sites, as well as eliminating the pierce--with only a minimal permanent scar visible: a good trade!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 171 reviews

Repair Earlobe deformities

The earlobe deformity that you describe maybe improved by excision of the depressed area and closure of the wound. A scar will still be present but likely to be less visible.

This earlobe reconstruction and repair of earlobe hole is an office procedure under local anesthesia

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon

Pierced ears reminder

The front hole can be excised and will leave a small scar which may appear to be a nearly imperceptible line

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

Closing earring holes

Unfortunately even when the earring holes are closed there will be a small scar or even a slight depression where they were pierced.

Steven Wallach, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Pierced ears

You look like   a torn ear lobe, very common.

even if the hole is not  completely torn through , the holes can be repaired. You will have a line of a scar.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.