Removing Nose Bump Without Breaking the Nose?

I am 20 years old and I have always felt insecure about the bump on my nose. I have been reading a lot about Nose surgery and I have heard people just getting it filed down without having to break the nose.

What is this called? What is the procedure? And what are the estimated costs?

Removing a Nasal Hump without Breaking the Nose

Yes, a bump can be removed without breaking the nose as long as the bump is not very large.  If the bump is large, then removing it results in a flat contour to the bridge of the nose.  This called an open roof deformity if it is not taken care of during the procedure.  To take care of this flat surface, the nasal bones are infractured to move them together to give a normal bridge.   If the bump is not too big, it can simply be rasped/ shaved down while maintaining a normal bridge contour.  I charge $7500 for a typical rhinoplasty.  If  a hump removal is all that is necessary, the charge would be less.

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

303 W. Lancaster Avenue
Wayne, PA 19087

Reducing nasal dorsum

Fullness on the bridge (or dorsum) of the nose may be reduced without also manipulating the nasal bones in some patients.  If the fullness (bump) is mostly cartilage (and not bone) and does not result in the upper third of the nose appearing too wide or too flat then controlled breaks of the nasal bones (to narrow the upper third of the nose) may not be required.  This is a surgical decision your surgeon will make during your rhinoplasty procedure.

J. David Holcomb, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

1 South School Avenue
Sarasota, FL 34237

Dorsal bump reduction without breaking the nose

Many people are very concerned about having their nasal bones broken during rhinoplasty. .  There are several reasons to break the bones during rhinoplasty which include:  straightening crooked nasal bones, narrowing wide nasal bones, and preventing a wide appearance after hump removal.  It is possible to reduce a bump without breaking the bones but it depends on the appearance of one's nose preoperatively and what their desired outcome is.  The issue is that once you shave down the bump, the dorsum (or bridge) will look wide.  If the bump is small, or the nasal bones are very narrow to start than it is possible to avoid resetting the bones.  The decision is best made at the time of surgery.  It would be worse to go through surgery and, just to avoid breaking the bones, you ended up with an unnatural appearing nose that was broad and flat.  It is important that you address this concern during your consultation.

Robert Glasgold, MD
East Brunswick Facial Plastic Surgeon

31 River Rd
Highland Park, NJ 08904

Depends on the size of the bump

Small bumps may be filed. Large bumps require all parts of the bridge of the nose to be reduced which means fracturing the bones to close an "open roof." The only way to know for sure is to see a rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Stephan Finical, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

2215 Randolph Rd
Charlotte, NC 28207

It depends but usually it's necessary

When a significant bump is filed down this usually creates a flat surface on the bridge. In order to narrow this it is usually necessary to perform osteotomies of the nasal bones. This is a controlled cut or break in the nasal bone.  If the bump is small and the nasal bones are narrow and not deviated this may be avoided.

Richard Rival, MD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

501-1881 Yonge St
Toronto, ON M4S 3C4

Humpectomy without fracture, cost

Each individual is different. Some folks only need a little surgery, like taking down the hump. One may need cartilage trim. One may need in-fracturing. One may also want to reduce the projection of the nose. Sometimes operating on one part of the nose may effect another part. Best to see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. Visit with a few. Take a look at the before/after photos. Ask your questions. Together, you should be able to garner a plan to achieve your goals. The cost may depend on many factors, including the complexity of your nose, time spent in the OR, the city that you live in.                                                   

Jeffrey Roth, MD

9280 W. Sunset Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89148

On rare occasions the nose bump can be removed without breaking the nose bones if you have a narrow nose with a small bump and there is no deviation of the nose. Often removal of the bump makes the nose look wider and may expose the underlying deviation and asymmetry which cannot be correct without breaking (osteotomy) of the nose bones. It is important to know that breaking the nose bones is not breaking the arm or leg bones. This are very thin bones that are gently move with special tools.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

29017 Cedar Road
Cleveland , OH 44124

Minimal Rhinoplasty

With rhinoplasty surgery we can do as little or as much as is necessary. I have removed a small hump without breaking the nose. It depends on the size of the bump. Consult with an experienced surgeon. You do not want to get rid of the hump, but make the nose look worse.  

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

It depends on the size of the bump.

If the bump is small sometimes we don't have to break the bones. But this is the exception, not the rule. See an experienced rhinoplasty specialist and let him guide you so you don't end up with a bad result--it's your face. 

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210