Removing Nose Bump Without Breaking the Nose?

I am 20 years old and I have always felt insecure about the bump on my nose. I have been reading a lot about Nose surgery and I have heard people just getting it filed down without having to break the nose.

What is this called? What is the procedure? And what are the estimated costs?

Removing Nose Bump

+2

Yes, it is definitely possible to smooth out a lump on the bridge of the nose without breaking it. However, this is not a matter of just finding the right surgeon to perform the surgery that way; it depends on if you are a candidate. Whether or not your surgeon is able to take this approach centers around the physical structure of your nose. If you are interested in this possibility, take the time to find an excellent rhinoplasty specialist who is a board certified plastic surgeon, and who’s willing to listen to your preferences. From there, your surgeon can give you an exam to determine whether filing the bump away is going to give you the best results.

Removing a Nasal Hump without Breaking the Nose

+2

Yes, a bump can be removed without breaking the nose as long as the bump is not very large.  If the bump is large, then removing it results in a flat contour to the bridge of the nose.  This called an open roof deformity if it is not taken care of.  To take care of this flat surface, the nasal bones are infractured to move them together to give a normal bridge.   If the bump is not too big, it can simply be rasped/ shaved down while maintaining a normal bridge contour.  I charge $6250 for a typical rhinoplasty.  If  a hump removal is all that is necessary, the charge would be less.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of dorsal nasal hump sometimes requires 'breaking' the nose

+1
A small dorsal nasal hump can be removed through and open or closed rhinoplasty approach without 'breaking' the nasal bones. For large dorsal hump reductions, the act of removing the 'hump' leaves the top of the nose 'open' (open roof deformity) which needs to be fixed by moving the nasal bones toward the dorsal midline, thus helping to close the structures along the top of the nose.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Minimally Invasive Rhinoplasty, Hump Reduction

+1
There are some patients that can be treated to reduce a dorsal hump without technically performing osteotomies.  Osteotomies are precise cuts made in the top and sides of the nose to release the bones and facilitate narrowing.

If a patient has a minimally elevated bump on the top (dorsum) of the nose without a particularly wide nasal bone structure, the surgeon will likely choose an endonasal (no outside incisions on the skin) approach for rasping or sanding down of the excess height of the nose.  This may be all that is required in your case.

However, it should be noted that two things may occur with this approach:

1.)  Patients can develop a boxy top appearance to the nose referred to as an "Open Roof Deformity."  This is a risk of lowering the dorsum without narrowing the bones.

2.)  Patients may be at risk to develop a nasal appearance that is not in harmony.  The lowered dorsum may arbitrarily cause an overly wide appearance of the nasal bones that have not been adjusted.

This is a decision that really takes years of experience to fully follow with a very qualified surgeon.  You are correct to ask this very valuable question but I would strongly recommend taking the advice of your surgeon very seriously.  He or she will help you select the least invasive and simplest methods for achieving your goals.

Best Wishes, 
Dr. Todd Hobgood
Double Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Nose Does Not Always Need to be Broken After Rhinoplasty...

+1
Rhinoplasty is a complex operation that can involve many interacting forces within the nose. If the bump is very small, it can be filed down without "breaking" the nose. But if there is any size to the bump at all, the bones need to be brought in to give the nasal bridge a normal shape again. Typically this is done with very fine instruments so there is not much trauma involved. The nose usually heals up great and it doesn't even look like it was broken. I understand that fracturing of the nose during rhinoplasty can make one nervous, but if necessary, it definitely creates the best result.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Seek a Rhinoplasty Specialist

+1
Not all rhinoplasty surgery requires "breaking the nose".  That part of rhinoplasty is called an osteotomy and usually used to narrow the nose after bringing down the hump of the nose. 

The reason to perform an osteotomy is if the nose is too wide after bringing the bridge down. Evaluation by a rhinoplasty specialist will help determine the best method and results for your nose. Not all patients require osteotomies ("breaking the nose").

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump reduction and osteotomies

+1
Breaking the bones (osteotomies) may or may not be necessary when reducing the dorsal hump (bump). This is dependent on a variety of factors including the shape and width of the nasal bones and crookedness of the nose. The term for the technique used to 'break' the bones is 'osteotomy'. Osteotomies can be done in a variety of ways but in general are done in a very controlled and precise manner as opposed to some crude, traumatic procedure. Osteotomies can be used to adjust the position of the bones both along the dorsum but also to adjust the transition of the cheek to nose. Additionally, in the case of crookedness or asymmetry of the bones, osteotomies can be used to create a straighter nose. Reducing the dorsal hump without adequately addressing the nasal bones and transition point from the bones above to cartilages below can lead to several deformities and a suboptimal look. When widely situated bones are not osteotomized (broken) and moved in after the hump is taken down, problems including excessive width at the site of the dorsal hump on frontal view or an inverted-V deformity (upside down shadowing in the shape of a V on frontal view) may be created. The dorsal aesthetic lines can also appear flared and irregular in the area of the hump. The dorsal aesthetic lines are visible on frontal view and are the right and left light reflections that start at the medial aspects of the eyebrows, gently taper inward, proceed in straight down the right and left sides of the dorsum and then gently taper outward at the tip. Creating smooth and straight dorsal aesthetic lines should be a goal as well when reducing a dorsal hump as problems from the frontal view are very bothersome to patients since most of the time that we tend to see ourselves is straight on while looking in the mirror. Ill-defined or irregular dorsal aesthetic lines tends to be a common complaint from patients seeking revision rhinoplasty.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Removing nasal hump without breaking the nasal bones

+1
Nasal osteotomies, or 'breaking the nose', during rhinoplasty understandably creates pre procedure anxiety for every patient and is a common question during every consultation.  Breaking the nose, in general, is required if the nose is crooked or if there is a large hump or wide bridge.  If there is subtle hump and a narrow bridge then occasionally, osteotomies can be avoided but in most cases, an osteotomy on on or both sides is required.  If the hump alone is removed, the new hump must look balanced with the old tip.  If your plastic surgeon feels this will not be the case, he or she may recommend reducing the size of the tip or raising the tip to make the profile or frontal view of the your nose look better. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing Nose Bump without Breaking the Nose

+1
I usually recommend against taking down a bump on a nose without following that with osteotomies. There are very few noses that allow for this to be done and for the bridge to appear natural. As disconcerting of a thought as it is, fracturing the nasal bones in my opinion makes for a natural smooth end result. That does not mean that the bridge of your nose needs to be significantly lower but that the width of the nasal bones needs to be brought in to create the new triangular anatomy of your altered bridge. I would need to see pictures in order to make the determination. Best of Luck.
George Moynihan MD

George T. Moynihan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal hump removal without breaking the nose

+1

In about 50% of our cases, we are able to perform hump removal without breaking the nasal bones.  This is done by placing cartilage grafts in the hollowness left where the bone was removed.  Also, some mini postage stamp bone nicks can be made to narrow the nose without breaking the nose. So called postage stamp osteotomies.

Pramit Malhotra, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon