Removing Nose Bump Without Breaking the Nose?

I am 20 years old and I have always felt insecure about the bump on my nose. I have been reading a lot about Nose surgery and I have heard people just getting it filed down without having to break the nose.

What is this called? What is the procedure? And what are the estimated costs?

Removing Nose Bump

+2

Yes, it is definitely possible to smooth out a lump on the bridge of the nose without breaking it. However, this is not a matter of just finding the right surgeon to perform the surgery that way; it depends on if you are a candidate. Whether or not your surgeon is able to take this approach centers around the physical structure of your nose. If you are interested in this possibility, take the time to find an excellent rhinoplasty specialist who is a board certified plastic surgeon, and who’s willing to listen to your preferences. From there, your surgeon can give you an exam to determine whether filing the bump away is going to give you the best results.

Removing a Nasal Hump without Breaking the Nose

+2

Yes, a bump can be removed without breaking the nose as long as the bump is not very large.  If the bump is large, then removing it results in a flat contour to the bridge of the nose.  This called an open roof deformity if it is not taken care of.  To take care of this flat surface, the nasal bones are infractured to move them together to give a normal bridge.   If the bump is not too big, it can simply be rasped/ shaved down while maintaining a normal bridge contour.  I charge $6250 for a typical rhinoplasty.  If  a hump removal is all that is necessary, the charge would be less.

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal hump reduction and osteotomies

+1
Breaking the bones (osteotomies) may or may not be necessary when reducing the dorsal hump (bump). This is dependent on a variety of factors including the shape and width of the nasal bones and crookedness of the nose. The term for the technique used to 'break' the bones is 'osteotomy'. Osteotomies can be done in a variety of ways but in general are done in a very controlled and precise manner as opposed to some crude, traumatic procedure. Osteotomies can be used to adjust the position of the bones both along the dorsum but also to adjust the transition of the cheek to nose. Additionally, in the case of crookedness or asymmetry of the bones, osteotomies can be used to create a straighter nose. Reducing the dorsal hump without adequately addressing the nasal bones and transition point from the bones above to cartilages below can lead to several deformities and a suboptimal look. When widely situated bones are not osteotomized (broken) and moved in after the hump is taken down, problems including excessive width at the site of the dorsal hump on frontal view or an inverted-V deformity (upside down shadowing in the shape of a V on frontal view) may be created. The dorsal aesthetic lines can also appear flared and irregular in the area of the hump. The dorsal aesthetic lines are visible on frontal view and are the right and left light reflections that start at the medial aspects of the eyebrows, gently taper inward, proceed in straight down the right and left sides of the dorsum and then gently taper outward at the tip. Creating smooth and straight dorsal aesthetic lines should be a goal as well when reducing a dorsal hump as problems from the frontal view are very bothersome to patients since most of the time that we tend to see ourselves is straight on while looking in the mirror. Ill-defined or irregular dorsal aesthetic lines tends to be a common complaint from patients seeking revision rhinoplasty.

Removing nasal hump without breaking the nasal bones

+1
Nasal osteotomies, or 'breaking the nose', during rhinoplasty understandably creates pre procedure anxiety for every patient and is a common question during every consultation.  Breaking the nose, in general, is required if the nose is crooked or if there is a large hump or wide bridge.  If there is subtle hump and a narrow bridge then occasionally, osteotomies can be avoided but in most cases, an osteotomy on on or both sides is required.  If the hump alone is removed, the new hump must look balanced with the old tip.  If your plastic surgeon feels this will not be the case, he or she may recommend reducing the size of the tip or raising the tip to make the profile or frontal view of the your nose look better. 

Web reference: http://www.northsideplasticsurgery.com

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removing Nose Bump without Breaking the Nose

+1

I usually recommend against taking down a bump on a nose without following that with osteotomies. There are very few noses that allow for this to be done and for the bridge to appear natural. As disconcerting of a thought as it is, fracturing the nasal bones in my opinion makes for a natural smooth end result. That does not mean that the bridge of your nose needs to be significantly lower but that the width of the nasal bones needs to be brought in to create the new triangular anatomy of your altered bridge. I would need to see pictures in order to make the determination. Best of Luck.

George Moynihan MD

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal hump removal without breaking the nose

+1

In about 50% of our cases, we are able to perform hump removal without breaking the nasal bones.  This is done by placing cartilage grafts in the hollowness left where the bone was removed.  Also, some mini postage stamp bone nicks can be made to narrow the nose without breaking the nose. So called postage stamp osteotomies.

Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Removing Nose Bump

+1

This depends on the size of the bump on your nose. If the bump in your nose is too large, it may not be possible. However, you need to consult with an expert facial plastic surgeon to ensure the best possible results for your procedure.

Removing the bump without breaking the bones is possible.

+1

Removing your bump without breaking the bones can be done by filing down the bone. If the bump is small, and your nose does not need straightening, then it may not be necessary to break the bones. I would consult with a rhinoplasty expert to determine if this is possible. 

Dr. Zoumalan. 

Reducing a Hump on the Top of the Nose Without Breaking the Nose

+1

If you have a very small hump on the top of your nose and this is your only concern, then closed rhinoplasty with shaving down the bump would provide an excellent result and may not require breaking the bones.

The main thing to be aware of is that it is very dependent on how "small" the hump is. The issue would be if after filing down the hump the rest of the nose appears to be too wide or if there is separation between the bones on the top of the nose. Usually when I offer a patient a closed rhinoplasty in this scenario I inform them of the possibility that I still may need to crack the nasal bones (osteotomy) in order to bring the bones together and prevent that gap, known as the "open roof".

Web reference: http://www.corygoldbergmd.com/closed-rhinoplasty.html

Removing a Nasal Hump

+1

Yes, you can remove the nose bump without breaking the nose.  This involves filing off the dorsal (top of the nose) hump deformity to eliminate for reduce the hump.  You will need to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon so you can find out if you are a good candidate for this specific procedure.

Web reference: http://www.hallplasticsurgery.com/nose-surgery-austin-rhinoplasty.html

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.