Break Nasal Bone to Fix Nose Bridge Bump?

I have a small bump on the bridge of my nose, which is more visible from one side. Will the nasal bone need to be broken in order to fix this?

How to Get Rid of Nasal Bump

+2

You can correct this hump by either method of filing it down (rasping) or Micro-fracturing it depending on how prominent it is.

It all depends on the width of the nose, the appearance of the bones on the opposite side and the degree of the hump. If you can post the picture, we can help you more specifically.

Please be aware of fillers in the nose as it can cause some serious and unfortunate outcomes.

Hope this was helpful.

Dr. Sajjadian

Dorsal Humps & Rhinoplasty

+1

The majority of patients who undergo rhinoplasty for the treatment of boney dorsal humps require surgical infracture. In this group, the larger the boney deformity, the greater the probability that infracture will be necessary.

When dorsal humps are removed, the nasal bridge often appears to have an increased transverse width. Under these circumstances, infracture is necessary to optimize the aesthetic result.

In your case, it’s virtually impossible to make a recommendation without a physical examination and pictures taken from multiple angles. Each patient requires a comprehensive evaluation before any decision can be made.

In some cases where the bump is small and the bridge is narrow, removal of the bump alone will be adequate and give excellent surgical results. In other cases, where the bump is large and the bridge is wide, infracture is usually unavoidable.

Although patients are often afraid of having their nose broken, most patients do well after this maneuver. Pain, discomfort and swelling may be slightly increased with infracture. The majority of patients tolerate infracture and are very happy with their surgical result.

If you’re considering rhinoplasty it’s important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon. This surgeon should be able to help you formulate an appropriate treatment plan. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Do I need to break my nasal bones?

+1

Every nasal hump is different and this can be examined by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon on the best approach.  In general, larger humps will necessitate breaking the nasal bones, while smaller humps may not.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breaking nasal bones

+1

The nasal bones only need to be broken if they are too wide or crooked. In addition, they also need to be broken if a large hump is taken down otherwise once the bump is taken down the patient will be left with a flat top nose. If there is only a very small bump present with a relatively narrow nose, then the nasal bones do not need to be reset or broken.

Nasal Bump

+1

With a small bump it is possible to remove the excess without breaking the nose. After examination, your surgeon can be more specific. Don't be afraid of the nasal fracture. You want the best possible result. Remember, it will last the rest of your life.

Depends on the size of the bump

+1

In many cases, with a small bump no fracturing of the bone is required, but it's hard to know without an examination.  If you do need an infracture, however, this is not something that should be feared as the procedure and the recovery are usually very straightforward.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

It probably will

+1

A bump on the bridge of the nose is usually a combination of excess bone and cartilage in the area. In order to remove the bump, the bone must be reduced. This usually also requires reduction of the cartilage to maintain a smooth profile. Often, the nasal bones will have a small space between them when they are reduced. In order to close this space, the nasal bones muct be precisely fractured and repositioned.

This is a very controlled maneuver. A well trained rhinoplasty surgeon can accomplish this with precision.

It will only be done if nececssary. However, in most cases where bumps on the nose are reduced, it will be required.

John Diaz, MD

Don't fear the fracture.

+1

I've noticed that many people on the web are seemingly most worried about the bones and having to "break" them. Fact is, the majority of the work, difficulty, and complications are related to the soft-tissue work of the tip and mid-third.

The bones are, arguably, the least difficult part of the surgery and are not broken, but rather precisely cut and repositioned. Since the nasal bones are thin, just shaving them without cutting bone can create an "open-roof" deformity. And in contrast to fractures of the axial skeleton (arms, legs, etc.) the nasal bones are not particularly load-bearing and are not particularly mobile in the sense of muscles and joints. Thus, pain...which is probably most patients real concern...is not usually a major feature of the bony work.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your small nose-bump may not require surgery.

+1

If your nose-bump is large, you'll need an operation to remove it. That usually leads to widening of your nose, which may require in-fracturing to narrow the frontal appearance of your nose.

If the bump is small, you might benefit from an Injectable Filler treatment above and below the bump to camouflage it's appearance.

I've attached a link that demonstrates this Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty in a male patient.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

This worries many people!

+1

The idea of having the bones broken is understandably scary to people. You may be worried about the pain afterwards, the bruising, or how it will end up looking. The mere idea of it can be pretty upsetting. Your nasal bones may or not need to be broken, as the others who have responded here correctly report. Just know this: you want it done right. In other words, if the best result will come by performing "osteotomies" (breaking the bones) then I think you should not be overly concerned about the pain or bruising. The pain isnt bad, and the bruising, if it occurs, is temporary. Just make sure to go to someone very experience and good! I hope this helps you.

Patrick Byrne, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon