Ask a doctor

How Can I Remove or Fade a Large Brown Ulcer Scar from my Shin?

How Can I Remove or Fade a Large Brown Ulcer Scar from my Shin?

Doctor Answers 2

Improvement of leg scars and hyperpigmented dark scars on the legs

Hyperpigmented and chronically inflamed scars can be improved with a combination of topical creams.  In my Los Angeles office, I improve scars with Melaquin AM, Melaquin PM, and MelaPads in order to improve color. 

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 58 reviews

Have a question? Ask a doctor


Brown pigment will persist in this area unless you get some prescription strength product from your dermatologist. ALSO needed is careful sun avoidance. The sun is always trying to bring a dark spot back so think of the "bleaching" cream as a treatment but not a cure. SPF# 45 at least. All year round (as long as your skin is showing)


Hope this helps!

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.