Old Thyroid Scar That is Still Red and Noticeable, How Can I Get Rid of it?

I had a thyroidectomy 19 years ago. I developed a keloid scar within 6 months. 2 yrs later a plastic surgeon put me onto duoderm tape that I wore religiously for 2 years. This flattened the scar a lot but intense redness remained. Later I discovered silicon sheeting and wore this for 2 years as well. This flattened & faded the scar more. Now, almost 20 yrs later, the scar is flat but broad in the middle. It is still slightly pink with thin brownish margins to it. How can I improve it further?

Issues regarding thyroidectomy keloid scar

+1

Without photos and an examination, it would be total conjecture as to what you should do. If surgical intervention were deemed prudent, then excision of the scar with immediate steroid injections and close monitoring for at least a year and a half with possible repeat steroid injections (even monthly), is one option. Using radiation therapy in addition to the surgery is another. These 2 scenarios would also employ silicone gel sheeting for a protracted period of time. 

Keloid scars

+1

Keloid and hypertroophic scars are very difficult to deal with.  After 20 years if it is flat and not significantly red, it may be best to leave it alone. Without an exam I could not be sure.

Keloid and scar correction

+1

Correction of keloids and hypertrophy scars has always been challenging. After none invasive treatments have been tried a tension free resection and closure followed by immediate low dose superficial radiation seems to be consistently the most effective means of treating a refractory keloid scar. A keloid is essentially a scar tissue that continues to grow and the normal healing process fails to cease.

Julian Henley, MD
New Haven Facial Plastic Surgeon