Help Needed for Sensitive Surgical Scar on Knees, Options? (photo)

Had bilateral total knee replacement 7 weeks ago. Doctor suggested massaging the scar to help with sensitivity and said that I could use any lotion or cream. I have only used normal moisturizers so far. Sensitivity is improving but not fast enough to wear normal clothes yet without getting massively irritated. Is there anything that I can do to help with the sensitivity faster? What is the best lotion or cream for big scars? What will help with the tightness?

Scar needs to mature

+1

This scar is early in its process of maturing. Keep it out of the sun and consider silicone sheeting products. You might also want to get an evaluation by a good plastic surgeon to tailor your management further. In a year, when the scar is mature you can consider other therapy if the scar has not improved to your liking.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Scar improvement

+1

The scars in this photo look rather new so I wouldn't risk irritating them with any strong products. I would have you get some Aquaphor Healing Ointment, over the counter, and apply as often as needed. Washing with plain white unscented soap, avoiding hot hot water, will also help.

As you are able to loose weight and the knees will feel better and as your exercise tolerance increases, the scars will gradually improve.

Hope you get better soon!

Beverly Johnson, MD
Washington DC Dermatologist