Is It Safe to Remove Compression Garment for a Short Time?

Is it okay to remove your compression garment long enough to wash it after surgery? I didn't think ahead enough to purchase an alternate.

Ask you surgeon

+2

Practicially speaking, if you are using a compression garment, it is usually snug for a reason. This makes getting in and out of it difficult by yourself so surgeons will often tell you to keep it on continuously for 5-7 days and may want to change it themselves so you do not disrupt tissues while struggling with the garment. After this initial phase, the stimulus to edema subsides and the swelling generally decreases making the change of garments easier. For this reason, many surgeons allow you to come out of the garment for short periods of time during the next couple of weeks. You might even ask your surgeon how crucial the garment is after this time period. During this second phase of healing, a less snug-fitting garment that is more comfortable might suffice.

Consider purchasing two garments prior to surgery

+2

It is important to first talk with your surgeon as it depends upon the areas of surgery and when your surgery took place. It is usually important to keep the garment on for the first 48 to 72 hours continuously and after a week it is probably okay. I suggest purchasing two garments so that one can be washed while the other is being worn. Most garments do best with air drying so it can take a while.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

No problem with removing garment for short periods

+1

Often times a patient may feel like the garment is too tight or even restricting breathing.  It is certainly fine to take off the garment for an hour or so to clean up or to let any discomfort subside. If you feel the garment is causing problems, please discuss it your surgeon. Good luck.

Edison Plastic Surgeon

OK to remove garment to wash it

+1

It is routine for patients to remove their garments to shower. This is a good time to wash the garment and then put it back on. Some like to buy a second garment to wear while they are washing the other.

Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Garmet use

+1

Yes, After liposuction it is ok to remove the garmet for short periods, generally 1-2 hours begining on the second day after surgery. If the garmet is too tight at other times it is ok to unzip the sides for brief periods .

I use the garment for abdominoplasties also and this helps a great deal. The same time periods for removal apply.

Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Garment can be removed after 48 hours for showering

+1

I generally have my patients wear a compression garment as much as possible for 2 weeks after Liposuction. The garment can be removed to shower after 48 hrs. I have had patients not wear any garments after surgery. There is no evidence that a garment expedites or improves results but my patients seem to be more comfortable wearing one.

Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

We don't use compression garments for most liposuction patients.

+1

Hi!

You can certainly take it off. In NYC, we have found that garments don't improve the results following liposuction for most patients.

If you wear a garment, you look better at one week. But at 3 weeks, you look the same whether or not you wore a garment. So we have stopped using compression garments for most liposuction patients. Many experienced plastic surgeons do believe in garments, though.

Yes, OK to remove garment for shower

+1

Hi,

You can remove your garment long enough to shower. Once you're done, pat the incision areas dry gently and replace your garment. I also tell my patients to buy two so that they can wear one while they wash the other. Design Veronique has excellent garments that many of my patients continue to wear long after they have to. You can purchase these directly from them. Good luck.

Lipo garment

+1

I allow my patients to remove the garment a day after surgery so they can shower.  Most of them purchase two so they can always have a clean one.  You can always order a second one.