Can You Reduce a Gummy Smile Without Doing a Surgical Procedure?

I just recently had jaw surgery to correct my overbite. I assumed that this procedure would reduce my gummy smile. But that didn't end up happening. I want to get rid of the gumminess but don't want to go through another surgical procedure and I also don't want to pay too much for this correction.

What are my options at this point? And could veneers be a possible option for me. Should I talk to my Orthodontist surgeon or my orthodontist about it?

Gummy smiles usually need surgery of some kind

+2

Depending on how severe the gummy smile is, surgery may be the only option. If that was a desire from the first surgery, it should have been clearly stated, as surgery for an overbite normally has zero effect on a gummy smile. It is possible that the surgeon's only goal was the overbite.

If the gummy smile is extreme, Botox will have very little effect. SOME, but perhaps not as much as desired. Lip tacking or lip lengthening surgeries are moderately successful, as quite often the results are not as dramatic as hoped. Soft tissue solutions for hard tissue problems are known for being unpredictable.

If the roots of the teeth are long enough, a crown lengthening procedure may be an option, but that is still a surgery. This is where bone around the teeth is removed, perhaps 2 mm, and when the tissue heals more teeth are exposed. This WILL make the teeth look longer, so if they are already the right size, then another surgery should be considered (like having bone above the teeth removed, like a Lefort Osteotomy).

I suggest a consultation with a few surgeons and periodontists to see what would work best for you. If it is minor, laser gingivectomy might be enough.

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Upper lip lengthening

+2

Although this is a surgical procedure, you can do a lip lengthening procedure on the inside of your upper lip under local anesthetic like a dental procedure. There are a number of types of surgeries from release or elongation of the frenulum, W-plasty, V-Y advancement, muscle release, etc. that your surgeon can explain to you and what they would do to help the gummy smile.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Gummy smile

+1
Correction of gummy smile depends on few things.

The length of the teeth - If the teeth are in a proper size in relation to your face then, then you should not have a gingivectom (gum surgery).

Length of the upper lip - Short upper lips (rare) can cause too much revealing of the gums. Your plastic surgeon could probably enhance it with fillers or Botox injections. This could become costly as well over time.

If none of the above, then unfortunately, the surgery has to be re-done to correct the maxillary excess (which is usually the cause).

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

How To Correct My "Gummy" Smile

+1

The best way to reduce a gummy smile would be with  laser removal of the excess gum tissue. In addition, you could have some Botox placed under the nose around the muscles that raise the upper lip to help keep your lip from raising as far when you smile.  Good luck.   

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Gummy Smiles can be Treated for the Mouth

+1
Find a dentist in your area who can do Botox. The cost is minimal and the result is GREAT when you have Botox put where the lift miscles for your smile are located by your nose. Continuing to have it done will help with the lift of your smile, look natural and can give you some relief immediately. Good luck!

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Gummy Smile

+1

I am a "laser dentist" using the Biolase laser.  Let me set the record straight here that it has its limitations.  It is good for maybe raising the gum line 2 millimeters not much more.  For more result you should have conventions esthetic crown lengthening which is a very minimally invasive surgery.  You have to be sure that your teeth are able to have crown lengthening and how much.  This depends on your crowns and your roots and can be determined by exam and x-rays

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

How to Reduce a Gummy Smile

+1

This is a very common complaint with women who like their teeth and are unhappy with their smile because too much of the gum shows when they smile.  A very quick and non invasive approach to this problem, is to use a laser to conture the gum line and reduce the length of the gum,  This will make the teeth look much longer and a proportionate amount of gum line will be visible at the top of the tooth,  You can always opt forTheraputic Botox which will, in essence, show less of the gum, but you will have to come in periodically to maintain your smile.  I think Laser Gum Conturing is the answer here!  Find a good periodontist who is well versed with lasers and most dentists, both general and cosmetic, can do this procedure very well!  You will be happy with the results!

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Gum Lift

+1

A Gum Lift or Esthetic Crown Lengthening can be performed in a single visit.  There are 2 ways it can be accomplished.  One is surgical by a periodontist and the other is with a laser.  Most dentists have a diode or CO2 laser in the office that can prvide a great result in as little as 20 minutes depepnding on the number of teeth needed to lift the gum.  It is basically pain free and the results are fantastic. 

Keith Blankenship, DDS
Jacksonville Cosmetic Dentist

Botox or laser gum recontouring are great for this

+1

If I were you I would try to Botox first to see if you even like the look of a lower lip. It only lasts 6 months and it will give you an idea of how you look. If you have small teeth with a lot of gum showing you may consider doing the laser gum recontouring to get rid of some of the gumline..It works great and really improves the look. It may not be perfect but its a nice alternative to severe maxillae surgery. Dr Thomas

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Yes, laser works miracles!

+1

For those patients that are unhappy with their "gummy" smile, i would recommend seeing a good laser dentist and have him perform the procedure with a laser.

Laser is applied to the areas of the gum line that need recontouring.  Laser dentistry is less invasive, no stitches, hardly any bleeding, no needles and with a fraction of the pain of traditional surgery....no..i am not a laser dentist, but i have seen what wonderful things lasers can do for patients!  Hope this helps!

Robert Fields, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist