Botox for Gummy Smile?

i hate my gummy smile. a doctor said maybe i could get Botocs to help. Is this true?

Gummy smile

+2

Botox is not a good choice for treatment of a gummy smile.  Botox will paralyze the muscle of animation and inhibit your smile. A true gummy smile is the result of vertical maxillary excess. In order to correct this, you may need a maxillary impaction to reduce the overall height of the maxilla.

Gummy smile

+1
Surgical superior positioning of the maxilla is the way to go. It is done once and you are set for life! 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Botox and a gummy smile

+1

Botox may lower the upper lip to not be able to show the gum line when you smile. There is a risk of too much lowering; affecting your singing or playing of a wind instrument.  Be careful in this area.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Gummy Smile

+1

Botox is a very good choice for patients that suffer "gummy smile". I my experience I have had very good results with judicious use of Botox to improve this condition. You need to go to an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon that has had injected gummy smile in the past to have your best results. Good luck.

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm for a gummy smile

+1

While Botox can be used to treat a gummy smile, this procedure can be very tricky to get just right, and can be very unpredictable. You must only have it done by a very experienced injector. The potential downside can be an asymmetry of your smile or changes in your upper lip muscle dynamics!

I have favored using Juvederm for a gummy smile by enhancing the upper lip in a very natural way. This seems to work very well and is very striaghtforward. Some of my happiest patients are ones that have had this procedure done for a gummy smile! Photographs can be seen on my website of just such a patient.

You may also want to consider seeing a craniofacial or maxillofacial surgeon for consultation if your gummy sile is severe. There are some potential sugical solutions for this issue.

Brian S. Glatt, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Strongly advise against Botox for gummy smile

+1

Hi Robin

BOTOX is great for some things. Not so great for other things. The gummy smile I think is mostly a doctor created sensitivity. Think about where you learned that this was a "issue." To counter act this "issue" BOTOX is injected into the lip elevators including the lavator labii superioris, levator labii superioris alaequae nasi, and occasionally the zygomaticus minor muscle. For sure this lowers the upper lip and covers the gums if the show when you smile. But typically this kill a beautiful big smile. Also to my eye, there is something unnatural about the effect. Also at the top of the nasolabial fold a small fullness can appear that is caused by the relaxed lavtor labii superioris. Also the treatment can result in an asymmetric smile.

Someone has under minded your confidence in what is probably a fantastic, beautiful smile. Don't get this treatment. Keep smiling.

Botox for gummy smile

+1

Yes, it will work very well. It has to be injected very precisely in the levator labii muscle which is near the junction of your nostrils with the cheek. Also the dose has to be calculated very carefully. A small amount can also be placed in the midline of the upper lip where it meets the nose (columella) and it helps bring down the center lip.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for gummy smile

+1

A gummy smile has been successfully treated with Botox when performed by expert injectors. It should be a low dose into precise points on the upper lip to reduce the "gum" show without affecting any other motion. I recommend choosing a very experienced physician, someone with years of expertise in cosmetic dermatology or dermatologic surgery.

Robert A. Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

BOTOX Erases Gummy Smiles

+1

I never knew what a "gummy smile" was until one of my patients was complaing of all the dental work she had done to correct her gummy smile. So evidently this not high on the spectrum of diseases or conditions that we must control.

Nonetheless, many people besides my patient are bothered by a gummy smile, which occurs when the gum show and the upper lip curls upwards. A thin upper lip may exacerbate this problem by allowing more gum to show.

Botox and sometimes the addition of a filler are very helpful in correcting this problem without the risks and expense of major jaw surgery.

Botox is injected into the area just lateral to the widest point of the nose. The muscles affected are the muscles that elevate the upper lip. Since the elevation of the upper lip is weakened, less gum shows. Sometimes, some Restylane of Juvederm can be added to the upper lip which would further erase the appearance of a gummy smile.

You should seek an experienced physician. The injections must be placed precisely. If they are not, one side may pull up while the other side is relaxed (paralyzed). Most people, even die-hard, Republicans do not like the Dick Chaney half-smile look but that's what you'll get if your physician is not careful.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist