Can a Nose Job Reduce 'Gummy' Smile?

I just recently had a jaw surgery which I hoped would reduce my gummy smile but unfortunately in my case that was not possible. Can a nose job help my upper lip in a way where it can reduce the gumminess?

Treatment of a gummy smile

+2

In my experience, Botox or Dysport work very well for reducing the appearance a gummy smile if the issue is too much lift of your upper lip. Rhinoplasty, a wonderful procedure for changing the shape of your nose, is not indicated for this purpose. 

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty reshapes the nose

+2

A gummy smile is caused by the muscles around the mouth and the maxillofacial underlying structures.  Rhinoplasty is very good at bringing symmetry and balance to the face, but does not affect the smile.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gummy smile

+1
Unfortunately the answer is no.  I think you should be re-evaluated and perhaps have the surgery re-done.  Also, if the esthetics allow, you could have a gingivectomy done to reduce the gum show.

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Gummy smile

+1

A gummy smile could be due to several factors.  you will need to be evaluated to find out what procedures could be done to improve your smile.  These procedures could be combination of jaw surgery (if maxillary excess), gum surgery (if excess gingiva and bone surrounding teeth).  There is also another technique called lip repositioning .  This will limit the amount of your lip movement during , therefore covers the excess gum. 

you don't need to get a nose job if you don"t need one just to "maybe" correct your gummy smile.

Botox is a temporary measure.  I think other options should be looked into first.  Get a referral to Oral surgeon/ Orthodontist/ and periodontist. This might need a collaborative effort to diagnose and treat, to get you the best results.

Elly Tehrani, DMD, MSD
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Rhinoplasty for Overexposed Upper Gums

+1

In certain cases of overexposed upper gums, yes, rhinoplasty surgery can reduce the show. This usually requires the nasal tip to be set back, releasing what we frequently see as a “tension” nose.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gummy Smile

+1

Gummy Smile is best treated by reducing the height of the upper jaw (maxilla): the bone is trimmed to create better proportion in the facial bones.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Gummy smile may or may not be helped with a Rhinoplasty

+1

A gummy smile may be caused by numerous factors.  A very careful analysis of your face, your smiling face, your nose, your septum, and your craniofacial skeleton is necessary.  Do not get a rhinoplasty just to shange your smile.  That really is not the reason.  You can correct the gummy smile simply with Botox or Dysport.  However, there are certain manuevers with a rhinoplasty that you can do to minimize a gummy smile.  The key to your question is get someone who has excellent rhinoplasty and craniofacial experience!

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gummy smile can be helped with Botox not Rhinoplasty

+1

A gummy smile would not be corrected with Rhinoplasty. A safe (off label) way to correct a gummy smile is by using Botox or Dysport.  If you are going to do this however, make sure you see a physician who is experienced in using a neurotoxin for this purpose. It usually requires very little product and works very well.

Carlos Wolf, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gummy Smile Correction

+1

A gummy smile is most commonly due to a skeletal abnormality in which the upper jaw is simply too long (vertical maxillary excess).  This can be corrected by orthognathic surgery (jaw surgery) in which the upper jaw is cut horizontally and a wafer of bone is removed to shorten the bony length (vertical maxillary impaction).  This is the definitive way to correct this problem.  Alteration of the anterior nasal spine of the nose during rhinoplasty or reduction of hyperactive motion of the upper lip elevator muscles with Botox may assist in camouflaging the problem but will not solve it.  

Jeffrey Weinzweig, MD

Rhinoplasty and Gummy Smile

+1

A gummy smile can be caused by a variety of factors which most commonly includes: 

• Vertical maxillary excess (excess bone of upper lip)
  • Hyperfunction of lip elevators (muscles that make you smile)
  • Excessive gum surrounding the teeth

In cases of vertical maxillary excess, orthognathic  and maxillofacial surgery is probably the best bet to get started.  In patients who are not candidates for either or who have already had maxillofacial surgery, a rhinoplasty can sometimes be helpful.  Rhinoplasty can reduce the presence of the nasal spine and subperiosteal release the lip elevator muscles helping to camouflage the amount of gum shown.  Botox can be helpful in specific circumstances as well.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon