Red/Purple Under Eyes - Normal After Upper Bleph?

I had an upper bleph two days ago. I froze my eyes into a popsicle and havent bent over once but my under eyes are very red/purple. the top isnt bad at all. I know im a bruiser but yikes! Anything I can do to break up the redness? should I continue ice underneath? Or just on top? I never want to see another ice cube unless its floating in a cocktail. lol

Lower lids take the brunt

+1

totally normal. I see this after a brow lift as well. notice the area is stained, not bruised. if you touch them notice they are not sore. staining clears quickly because there was no trauma. don't worry.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Bruising/redness after eyelid surgery not unusual

+1

Bruising and/or redness is expected early on after Blepharoplasty, regardless if upper, lower or both lids are treated.  In your case of upper lid lift with bruising below, it is as a result of "dependency"....water runs downhill, and since head elevation is part of the early post-op regimen, the discoloration "goes south".  Early intermittent icing is helpful, but now that you are 2 days out, it is unlikely that it will help.  Because bruising is expected, I usually request my patients take Arnica during the peri-operative time frame, starting pre-op and continuing post-op. Arnica taken orally now may or may not be of benefit.  Tincture of time is the best therapy.  If you are "young", the discoloration will dissipate around a week; "middle age" patients may take 2 to 3 weeks, (but I usually permit concealer a week out); my "little old lady" patients may have persistent discoloration up to 3 months, although that is not typical.  Follow your surgeon's instructions. If there is something out of the ordinary, more specific instructions would be given to you.  Be patient!

Jana K. Rasmussen, MD

Bruising around the eyes is quite normal after upper blepharoplasty

+1

It is perfectly normal for patients to have some bruising and swelling above and below the eyes after upper eyelid surgery (upper blepharoplasty). You should follow the directions of your surgeon regarding ice and other measures to prevent or reduce bruising and swelling. 

In my practice, I advise patients to ice for 15 minutes every hour (while awake) for the first three days. For the first two weeks, I ask them to sleep on three or four pillows to keep the head elevated. Supplements such as arnica montana and bromelain can also help to reduce bruising. They are also advised to avoid heavy lifting, straining, and vigorous exercise for two weeks. 

As for recovery time, patients are up and around the day after surgery and able to perform most normal activities within 1 - 3 days. Pain medication is taken for around 3 days on average and many patients begin working from home 3 to 4 days after surgery. Stitches are removed on day 5 or 6. In general, patients look good enough to return to work or social activities approximately 10 days after surgery, once the bruising has resolved. 

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Total normal to bruise after eyelid surgery.

+1

Yes upper eyelid surgery can cause lower eyelid bruising.  Totally normal.  Do not over ice the eyelids to punish the bruise.  It will not make a bit of difference and you can harm your skin by over icing.  Try to be patient.  Follow the recommendations of your surgeons.  We are not your surgeons!  Please do not be tempted to order anything from the internet to make the bruise go away any time sooner.  These products are ineffective. 

Bruising after Belpharoplasty

+1

Without pictures, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  However, two days after surgery, some swelling and bruising is expected.  Some patients worse that others and other patients better than some.  It sounds like you are doing everything right.  The swelling and bruising will go away quickly but at just two days post-op there is not need to worry.  If you do have any concerns, then you should contact your surgeons office and schedule a sooner follow up visit.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Bruising after upper blepharoplasty

+1

The upper lid will swell a bit after upper blepharoplasty, though the swelling and in particular the bruising, will become apparent in the lower lid. Anatomy and gravity is the culprit and the red blue color in the lower lid may stay around for three weeks after. The discoloration will pass and a concealer will help in the short term.

peterejohnsonmd

Bruising After Blepharoplasty

+1

Bruising like you describe can be quite severe or ugly looking after blepharoplasty. This is most definitely the case for some people in the days to week after their procedure, even with all the cooling pads in the world. If you have significant concerns, contact your surgeon, but what you have is likely a routine postoperative issue. Best of luck.

Derek Lou, MD

Bruising After Upper Bleph

+1

It is not uncommon for a patient who has had an uncomplicated upper Blepharoplasty develop bruising 24-72 hours after the surgery.  Icing the yes and using Arnica Montana in addition to limiting physical activity will be helpful, worrying will not.  Remember that the human body has a pre-programmed healing process that it is going to follow regardless of circumstance. The good news is that healing from upper lid Blepharoplasty is usually fairly rapid.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Purple lower lids

+1
It is very normal for your lower eyelids to swell and bruise after an upper blepharoplasty. The fluid accumulates there mainly due to gravity. If you can sleep with your head elevated and avoid alcohol it helps it go away faster but really it just needs time! Good luck!

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD
Clearwater Oculoplastic Surgeon