Is Blepharoplasty Safe w/ Herpes Simplex?

want to undergo lower lid blepharoplasty . i suffer from recurrent herpes simplex , is it safe to undergo surgery . will stitch line develop herpes post surgery ,please clear doubts

+2

Hi Anon.  Most probably, blepharoplasty can be safely performed in recurrent herpes simplex.  Does your herpes simplex affect your eyes?  If so, then further examination and information would be needed.  Good luck.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Is eyelid surgery safe with herpes outbreaks

+1

Herpes outbreaks are certainly a cause for concern when performing any type of facial surgery, eye surgery or skin resurfacing.  IMHO, there's always a risk that the area operated upon, in this case the eyelids, could be effected in part with the herpes simplex virus and I would recommend that my patient go on prphylaxlsis anti-viral for a week or two before and after the procedure.

Blepharoplasty and herpes simplex

+1

It is best to have herpes simplex not present during a blepharoplasty.  It is safest to not have an active breakout at the time of blepharoplasty surgery so as not to get the active herpetic simplex infection into the cornea of the eyeball.  

Blepharoplasty and history of Recurrent Herpes Simplex

+1

It is safe to undergo lower lid blepharoplasty with a history of recurrent herpes simplex. It would be unusual for lesions to develop at your incision line after surgery. 

I recommend that you speak to your surgeon about your complete medical history and this specific concern. You will likely need to be on an antiviral regimen just before and after your surgery.

Anifat Balogun, MD

Blepharoplasty and herpes simplex

+1
There should be no complications with herpes simplex and blepharoplasty. Tell your surgeon and he or she may put you on an antiviral medication like Valtrex or Zovirax. The surgeries that are most effected by herpes are lasers around the mouth and sometimes Juvederm or Restylane or other fillers in the lip area. I ask all of my patients prior to any procedure during their history and physical if they suffer from herpes simplex so that we may properly plan the course of treatment. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Blepharoplasty and herpes

+1

It is more common to get a herpes outbreak form a procedure around the mouth like a peel or injectable filler. But to be safe you may want to take antivirals before the procedure to minimize the risk.

Bleharoplasty and herpes.

+1
In 35 years of eyelid surgery I have never seen this. Tell your surgeon and he will give you an antiviral medication to use.

Eyelid surgery

+1

Dear anon7853,

There are different types of herpes viruses.  Herpes simplex (or HSV) is mainly found in the lips as cold sores.  Herpes zoster (or varicella, aka the chicken pox virus) can affect any number of nerves throughout the body.  If you have simplex, it should not affect your surgery.  If you have had shingles (herpes zoster) around the eye, then this is more of an issue.  Please talk to your surgeon to come up with an effective pre-operative plan.

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Blepharoplasty with Chronic Herpes

+1

Blepharoplasty should be safe, but you should be on antiviral medication from before the surgery to after complete healing. Talk to your surgeon about this at length before planning your surgery.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Herpes simplex and eyelid surgery

+1

The short answer is it is very unlikely that herpes simplex can affect lower transconjuctival blepharoplasty.  Majority of people have herpes simplex in the body/nerves, and I have never seen a herpes simplex outbreak or related problem in patients undergoing eyelid surgery.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon