What is the Recovery Time for Breast Revision for Implant Repositioning

i had a breast lift and augmentation with 240cc filled to 270cc, 1 year ago. I feel my implants sit to low and to far to the side. How painful and how long is the revision surgery for this problem/

How to correct breast implants that are too low

+3

Based on your photos I would recommend using a synthetic skin substitute (acellular dermal matrix-ADM) to act as a sling under your implants to give a higher appearance with more cleavage.  Some name brands are Strattice (derived from a pig) and Alloderm (derived from humans).  This is basically sewn in under the implants inside the breast pocket to control the space where the implant can move. It gives excellent support and can prevent your implants from migrating (moving down) as your age.

Please consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon prior to having this type of procedure.

Dr. Bruno

Recovery Time for Breast Revision Surgery Generally Pretty Short

+2

Depending on what needs to be done, breast revision surgery is generally less painful, with a shorter recovery time, than your original breast augmenation surgery.

To revise your particular situation, I would consider removing your breast implants, and using the scar tissue that has formed around your breast implants to change the size of your breast implant pocket.  The scar tissue around your breast implants is called the "breast capsule".  The edges of this capsule can be used to make your breast implant pocket smaller on your side, and smaller at the bottom.  When your breast implants are put back in, then your breast implant position will be more towards the middle, and higher, than what you currently have.

If this maneuver is insufficient, then a new pocket has to be created.  This completely new pocket will be made to place your implants more towards the middle, and slightly higher. 

The revision surgery with just capsule manipulation should not hurt that much, and recovery should be only a couple of days with pain medication.  With creation of a new capsule, your breast revision surgery may be more painful, but still should be less than your original procedure.  Usage of a pain pump will help with pain recovery after surgery. 

Thanks for the great question, and best of luck with your recovery!

Roy Kim, MD

Breast Revision Recovery

+2

I believe you are a candidate for breast revision surgery.  My recommendation would be to tighten your inferior pole skin envelope through your old incision and suture your implant capsule on the outer and lower portion of the breast to reposition your implant.

Breast Revision does carry a higher risk of complication to the nipple/areola blood supply and sensation.   In addition, depending on your skin elasticity, the skin may stretch out again.   This is difficult to predict or prevent, but more common in larger implants.  I recommend that you consult with at least 3 board certified plastic surgeons to make the most educated decision.

I wish you a safe recovery

Paul S. Gill, MD

Revision Breast Lift

+2

While the position of the implants, in my opinion, cannot be substantially changed by revision, the shape of your breasts may be improved by tightening the lower pole (vertical portion of the breast lift closure beneath the areola), and this would be my approach.  Recovery not bad at all, just requires lower pole support after the procedure by a good elastic support bra until the envelope is well healed, usually 8-12 weeks.  Recovery to most normal activities several days, to athletic activity involving jumping up and down, my recommendation is to delay for a couple of months.  This is surgeon dependent however.  Scar matures and resolves over months.

Steve Laverson, MD

Pain and Breast Implant Revision Surgery

+2

Typically breast implant revision surgery is not as painful as primary sub muscular breast implant surgery. Judging from the photo,  you would need the pockets sutured on the lateral side to bring the implant in more medially. You may also need a revision of your lift as the implants are sitting too low. As for the length of time, that is very surgeon dependent. However, it should not be more time than the original surgery as the dissection for placing the implants was done in the first surgery.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Babak Dadvand, MD

What is the recovery time for breast revision for implant repositioning?

+1
Thank you for your question!  The time will depend on how much work will need to be done.  Without an examination it will be difficult to give you my recommendations, but certainly re-lifting with pocket revision would be recommended at the least.  The procedure itself will result in less time off than your original procedure and likely be approximately one week off with restrictions carried on for approximately 3-4 weeks.  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a terrific result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Implant Repositioning Recovery

+1

Breast Augmentation Revision surgery that you described varies from surgeon to surgeon but typically can be accomplished in a few hours. There is usually less pain than your original augmentation.
Post-Operative Healing following Breast revision varies from patient to patient and recovery recommendations also vary among different plastic surgeons - Best advice is to ask your surgeon his recommendations.
Below is what is typical for my practice.
This is an outpatient surgery and you will  probably go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines.
In my practice - Sutures are dissolvable but the ending knot is removed within 1-2 weeks.
Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days and return to work for light duty 1-2 weeks following surgery

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Recovery time after breast implant revision depends on what is needed

+1

There are usually two options for correcting what is called "bottoming out" which is where the implants drop. The simplest is to tighten up the scar capsule with a row of stitches, called a capsulorrhaphy. If that is all that is needed the recovery time is fairly quick. I suspect that in your case, you would get a more predictable and stable long-term result if support is added with a material called Strattice. Think of it as an internal bra, though it becomes living tissue and part of you. Recovery is a bit longer for this option but it may help prevent the need for additional revisions later.

Richard Baxter, MD

Recovery after breast implant revision surgery

+1

The recovery time after implant repositioning surgery depends on the exact procedure performed during the secondary surgery, as well as whether or not a mastopexy is required to adjust the breast tissue. Usually 1 to 3 weeks are necessary before full activity may be safely resumed.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Breast implant revision surgeries typically have a shorter recovery time compared to original surgery.

+1

Fortunately, breast implant revision is less down time than the original surgery.  You may need a slight lift or some manipulations to the pocket.  We suggest a week off work and you will be under weight lifting restrictions for up to 3 weeks and sometimes up to 3 months.