Asian Double Eyelid Surgery Recovery Time

What's the average/typical recovery time after a double eyelid surgery (incision based)? I'm a male, I can't apply make up to hide any scars. So I would like to know how long it will take for the scars and swollenness to go away.

Recovery from Asian Blepharoplasty varies and depends on the patient

+2

Recovery from Asian Blepharoplasty varies and depends on the patient. Generally, the recover takes a week or so. The swelling in the eyes can sometimes take longer to get over depending on your genetics, likelihood of bleeding, your bodies inherent healing properties, etc. Recovery is typically longer than standard blepharoplasty.

With Asian blepharoplasty, you have to get to a deeper level in order to recreate the crease. This extra dissection can lead to more swelling, bruising, etc. Techniques to increase the longevity of your crease can add to the healing. But the benefit is that your crease will last longer. I have techniques that make the crease last longer. You can read my blog to find out more about how I do the Asian Blepharoplasty.

Another general common understanding of wound healing is that you usually get 60% of your healing the first 6 weeks.  You get 80% at 6 months.  You have 89% of the healing by 2 years and then it tapers off after that.  Look forward to hearing from you!

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Eyelid- Blepharoplasty Recovery time

+1
Generally speaking, we recommend our patient to take 1 week off to recover. The stitches come out on Day 5, but swelling and bruising can last up to 2 weeks. Following that, the tiny incision lines/scars will take many months to subside, but are typically not noticeable.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time For Asian Eyelid Surgery

+1

The Asian component of this is not irrelevant but it is certainly not enhanced because you are a man or an Asian per se. What I mean is, your skin type does not contribute to a prolonged healing time except in the more favorable circumstance compared to your twin sister. Women have a little more swelling and bruising than men do of the same ethnicity and age. Men have typically less conjunctival irritation but that too is a wild card for anybody. Your properly managed pre- and post-operative situation should include some proactive measures for bruising, like using Arnica Montana starting a couple of days before surgery and for 2 weeks post surgically. Avoiding anti-platelet agents as well as the use of naturally occurring Bromelain (eating fresh pineapple for a few days before and after surgery) contribute to reducing your swelling. Overall I tell patients that they usually look like they have had an allergy attack by 7 or 8 days post op or when their sutures come out and their swelling will be dramatically improved by week two. Some of the subtleties of the outcome can take 4 to 6 weeks (until your mother says your eyes look very normal). I talk to patients frankly about this and I use the analogy of the mall test, meaning you walk by the person in the mall and you say, “look at the nice shoes he is wearing” instead of “look at the guy who had eyelid surgery.” The best way to discuss this with you is to show you the many photographs that I review in the context of your consultation process so that you have a good handle on your occupation, your ethnicity and your outcome goals so you have a realistic expectation for recovery. I always speak frankly because I have enough experience to talk about all of the above variables. But, of course, you are you and your recovery is individualized. Choose wisely!

Paul Vanek, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Asian Eyelid Surgery Recovery Time: 2 weeks (better than before) ~ 6 months (at its best)

+1

Great question (often asked by male patients.)

The full recovery from any incisional surgery on the eyelids can take up to 6 months; however, the time for the eyelids to appear normal, natural and better than the pre-operative appearance typically takes 2 weeks. Many men do apply a little makeup to conceal the minimal bruising or scar after 1 week. The first 2 weeks is where the majority of the improvement is seen, but tightening can still be observed out to 6 months.

Thanks for the question. I hope you find this useful.

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Recovery for incisional upper blepharoplasty

+1

For an incisional upper blepharoplasty, the incision will take a few weeks to return to its normal pigmentation and become a faint line.  The crease, however, may take a few months to descend to its normal position and may appear too high initially.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Asian Double Eyelid Surgery

+1

Recovery time for double eyelid surgery is about one week. However, if you are concerned about scars and residual swelling you may need to plan for a longer recovery time. It’s hard to predict specific healing/recovery times because everybody is different. Consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to see if you are a candidate for double eyelid surgery and based on your personal health history what your recovery time may be.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Typical recovery time for Asian eyelid surgery

+1

Recovery time varies depending on the age of the patient, extent of the procedure as not every Asian eyelid surgery is the same, whether or not the procedure is primary or secondary. In general, it usually takes one two weeks for patients to reasonably well. The final look make take anywhere between one to three months and the incision scar quality continues to improve up to a year. Most of my patients take a week off their work or school. It may take a little longer for men.

Eric I. Choe, MD, FACS

Recovery time after Asian eyelid surgery

+1

Asian eyelid surgery or double eyelid surgery is sometimes called can be performed with a less invasive technique using sutures alone or an incision technique where skin or fat or muscle is removed or simply rearranged to create a new crease in a more pleasing position. Healing from the less invasive suture technique can take as little as 2 to 3 days but can easily take as long as a week if bruising occurs. The incision technique has bruising less often because the incision creates an open wound that can be more easily monitored and manipulated during the surgery. However, your healing time is a minimum of seven days and if the surgery is more involved anatomically or it is a revision and can take as long as two weeks. You're essentially functional within 2 to 4 days but not yet ready for social events or photographs. It's best that the procedure be performed under local anesthesia and you be seen twice in the first week after surgery.

Thank you for your inquiry

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time for Asian eyelid surgery

+1

This depends on the type of technique used. 

For incision surgery, if the surgery is limited to the area above the crease and there is minimal disturbance of the tissue below the crease, then the recovery time (to work) may be as little as 7d.

If your anatomy requires extensive dissection below the level of the crease (to correct, e.g., ptosis, or heavy fat deposits), it may go two weeks.

If you are a candidate for the suture-only method, recovery time is about 4d. We post recovery photos on our website.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Asian eyelid surgery recovery relatively short

+1

Recovery following Asian eyelid surgery is relatively short.  Sutures are removed after only three to five days.  There is usually minimal swelling and bruising.  Driving a car is permissible after three days.  But for all the swelling to go away will take three to six weeks.  However most normal activities can be resumed within one week.

James Tang, MD