Recommended Time Before Having Intercourse After Tummy Tuck?

How long must I wait to have intercourse after a Tummy Tuck?

2 months

It is advisable to avoid strenuous physical activity for 2 months after abdominoplasty. Activity before that time can result in hematoma, seroma, wound failure and other complications.

Your plastic surgeon will give you the best answer in your specific case about this and sex. For most of my patients I allow sex to begin at 6 weeks with the woman on top to minimize the risk of trauma. Here are some fo the guidelines I give my patients: Following surgery, you will be walking in a bent-over position to keep tension off the newly tightened skin incision site. Although strenuous activity, and lifting more than ten pounds, must be avoided for 6 weeks, some people can return to work and daily activities as soon as 2 weeks after surgery. Softening of the surgical scars, return of sensation, and loosening of the tight sensation may take several months to a year or more.
Abdominoplasty involves a recovery period of 10 to 14 days longer than most plastic surgical procedures. Initial discomfort and decreased mobility is typical. To decrease this discomfort, we offer a long acting local anesthetic. This numbing injection solution (Exparel) which lasts for 3-4 days allows for an easier recovery and is preferable to older pain pump technology.
3-5 days or more of assistance at home is usually indicated. We can arrange for a nurse to stay with you if helpful.
You will be encouraged to move and walk regularly starting the day of surgery. Wearing your TED stockings at all times, except while washing, to prevent venous clots (deep vein thrombosis) is mandatory.
Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. No sports or heavy lifting for 6 weeks or more – please discuss with your doctor for specific questions.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Sex after Tummy Tuck

Becoming intimate after abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is highly variable and depends on each individual. It depends on how active you are and how long it takes your pain to comfortably subside. You should not do any abdominal exercises for 10 weeks but sex is generally acceptable after at least 3-4 weeks as long as you are gentle. Having sex before 3-4 weeks can put you more at risk for complications so it is best to be careful. Be sure to follow up with your plastic surgeon to see what their specific recommendations are as well.

Wait At Least 1 Month Following Tummy Tuck Before Intercourse

Any type of strenuous activity including sexual intercourse should be avoided for at least one month following abdominoplasty.  Strenuous activities can elevate blood pressure and pulse rates and lead to hemo-dynamic changes.  These changes can result in post-operative complications such as bleeding and seroma formation.  In addition, physical exertion can cause stretching and pulling of the soft tissue which can traumatize fresh surgical wounds that are still healing.  Under these circumstances, the incidence of wound healing complications would be expected to increase.

Intercourse After Tummy Tuck

You should probably wait until about 3 or 4 weeks after your tummy tuck before having intercourse however please ask your surgeon for their advice.

Intercourse following tummy tuck

You should definitely consult your surgeon and follow his/her advice closely with regards to intercourse and exercise following a tummy tuck.  In most cases, intercourse can be resumed 3-4 weeks following a tummy tuck if the post operative course has been smooth and uncomplicated.

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to specific information/advice. He/she knows exactly what was done and how you are progressing. Concerns would include an increase in heart rate and the potential for bleeding.  Muscle spasm may be painful. Obviously, significant pressure on the surgical site is not a good idea either. It is not uncommon for patients to report increased swelling that occurs after vigorous exercise (including sexual activity),  even several months after tummy tuck surgery.

Sexual Intercourse After a Tummy Tuck

This a delicate question and the answer needs to be handled in a delicate fashion.  The reason for not having sexual intercourse (SI) early after any surgery is because you do not want to raise your blood pressure, and therefore increase your changes of bleeding and getting a hematoma.  No matter what position you and your partner use during SI, your abdominal muscles will come into play and you want to allow for reasonable repair of these muscles before engaging them in SI. 

Back and forth shearing movements on your newly repaired abdominal wall could increase the chances of fluid buildup on your abdomen (seroma) which would increase the time of your recovery and also temporarily interfere with further SI.  

A safe answer to your question is wait 3 to 4 weeks and let pain or discomfort be your guide.   

Intercourse okay by 3 weeks after Tummy Tuck if healing goes well

If everything goes well in your healing 3 weeks would be the time limit. But PLEASE do not get pregnant. It would ruin the tummy tuck!

Resuming Sexual Relations After Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)

Before resuming relations, I would consult your Plastic surgeons. We all may have different opinions.

I do not think that you will be "in the mood" for at least 3-4 weeks after surgery. If after this period you wish to resume relations, I would advise you begin gently so as to not strain the transverse incision and the muscle repair. (I had a patient in her 50's who proudly told me she resumed relations after just two weeks - while I suspect others wait more than 4-6 weeks). Everyone is different and people heal at different rates.

Dr. P. Aldea