Recommended Time Before Having Intercourse After Tummy Tuck?

How long must I wait to have intercourse after a Tummy Tuck?

Intercourse following tummy tuck

+3
You should definitely consult your surgeon and follow his/her advice closely with regards to intercourse and exercise following a tummy tuck.  In most cases, intercourse can be resumed 3-4 weeks following a tummy tuck if the post operative course has been smooth and uncomplicated.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Sexual Intercourse After a Tummy Tuck

+2

This a delicate question and the answer needs to be handled in a delicate fashion.  The reason for not having sexual intercourse (SI) early after any surgery is because you do not want to raise your blood pressure, and therefore increase your changes of bleeding and getting a hematoma.  No matter what position you and your partner use during SI, your abdominal muscles will come into play and you want to allow for reasonable repair of these muscles before engaging them in SI. 

Back and forth shearing movements on your newly repaired abdominal wall could increase the chances of fluid buildup on your abdomen (seroma) which would increase the time of your recovery and also temporarily interfere with further SI.  

A safe answer to your question is wait 3 to 4 weeks and let pain or discomfort be your guide.   

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Intercourse okay by 3 weeks after Tummy Tuck if healing goes well

+2

If everything goes well in your healing 3 weeks would be the time limit. But PLEASE do not get pregnant. It would ruin the tummy tuck!

Intercourse after tummy tuck

+2

Your surgeon will talk to you about resuming relations. This will depend on muscle repair, presence of drains, and the progression of wound healing which are particular to your case. Psychologically, you and your partner must also feel comfortable before resuming relations. Remember that the lower part of your abdomen will feel numb for sometime after surgery.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Intercourse after tummy tuck

+2

Here is the reasoning behind guidelines for activity restrictions after tummy tucks. During the procedure the muscles are tightened and blood vessels are cut. Activities that cause stress on the muscle repair and pressure on the sealed or tied blood vessels can lead to breakdown of the repair or bleeding.

The thought is that if you slowly get back to activities you can do more and more. For example, you can lift 10 -25 pounds right away as long as you proceed slowly with no sudden straining. Uncontrolled activities that can lead to sudden increases in pressure or stress are not advised for 6 weeks.

Intercourse tends to be one of those activities that involved uncontrolled physical stress so there is a significant risk of breaking down the repair and bleeding. Although there are no hard and fast rules, you should listen to your doctor.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Wait At Least 1 Month Following Tummy Tuck Before Intercourse

+1

Any type of strenuous activity including sexual intercourse should be avoided for at least one month following abdominoplasty.  Strenuous activities can elevate blood pressure and pulse rates and lead to hemo-dynamic changes.  These changes can result in post-operative complications such as bleeding and seroma formation.  In addition, physical exertion can cause stretching and pulling of the soft tissue which can traumatize fresh surgical wounds that are still healing.  Under these circumstances, the incidence of wound healing complications would be expected to increase.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Intercourse After Tummy Tuck

+1
You should probably wait until about 3 or 4 weeks after your tummy tuck before having intercourse however please ask your surgeon for their advice.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

+1
Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to specific information/advice. He/she knows exactly what was done and how you are progressing. Concerns would include an increase in heart rate and the potential for bleeding.  Muscle spasm may be painful. Obviously, significant pressure on the surgical site is not a good idea either. It is not uncommon for patients to report increased swelling that occurs after vigorous exercise (including sexual activity),  even several months after tummy tuck surgery.

Resuming Sexual Relations After Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)

+1

Before resuming relations, I would consult your Plastic surgeons. We all may have different opinions.

I do not think that you will be "in the mood" for at least 3-4 weeks after surgery. If after this period you wish to resume relations, I would advise you begin gently so as to not strain the transverse incision and the muscle repair. (I had a patient in her 50's who proudly told me she resumed relations after just two weeks - while I suspect others wait more than 4-6 weeks). Everyone is different and people heal at different rates.

Dr. P. Aldea

Resuming intercourse after a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

+1

This depends on several factors including the extent of your tummy tuck as well as length of time the drain is retained and the possibility of seroma formation.

In my practice, I have had patients have intercourse the day after surgery because of their desires and not anything to do with my technique but that is one extreme that I do not recommend.

Most patients are physically not prepared nor willing to consider intercourse for a minimum of 4-6 weeks after surgery and even then certain precautions must be taken to avoid undue pressure on the operated portions of the body.