What Would You Recommend for Small Asian Frame Seeking Natural Looking Breast Implants?

I am 25 y.o asian, weigh 90 pounds, and am 5f1. I am seeking recommendations on what type of implant you would recommend for my small frame. The photos I've seen of implant goals are of patients with 150-230cc's with moderate or high profile projection. I had one initial consult and the Dr encouraged cc's that were higher, insinuating that a natural look would be a waste of going through plastic surgery. Any advice would be grateful appreciated! Thanks.

What size breast implants for a natural result

Biodimensional planning can help your surgeon select a breast implant within the proper size range for you. It is important to have the right size and shape of an implant. Position of the breast implant is equally important. You don't want implants too high, too far apart. Even small breast implants, if not ideally laced can look unnatural.  

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Asian Breast Augmentation

Asian patients can pose unique challenges in breast augmentation.  Typically Asian women have a smaller body habitus and a paucity of breast glandular tissue.  Asian patients can also have a poorly defined inframmammary crease (IMF) making the IMF incision problematic.  Asian patients can also exhibit unique wound healing properties causing their scars to be thicher and darker (mildly hypertrophic).  The IMF incision can be highly visible because of the darker scars and poorly defined IMF.  The periareolar incision is sometime preferred because the incision can be better concealed.  However, Asian women can also have smaller nipple areolar complex measurements making it difficult to place a form stable anatomic implant (Allergan 410 style) or even a standard cohesive gel implant.  Patients with small areolar dimensions may need a saline implant which can be placed through a smaller incision.  Finally, implants should be placed under the chest muscle (submuscular) due the smaller breast size of Asian women and the need to conceal the implant under the muscle.  All these factors come in to play with typical Asian breast augmentation.  For those patients willing to accept the IMF scar, an anatomic form stable (Allergan 410 style) implant under the muscle usually yields the most natural result.  However, it the IMF scar is a big concern then a periareolar saline or small gel implant might be the better alternative. 

Finally, 3D preoperative imaging can be extremely helpful in choosing a style and profile which meets the patients goals and expectations.  

John Burns, MD

Breast Implant Size

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body. Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Measurements of Your Current Body Contour Would Help Determine Implant Size For A Natural Result

I use a technique known as dimensional breast augmentation in order to help my patients choose the best implant size or style. Every woman has a different body type and goal, meaning that the same implant won’t be satisfactory for all patients. Dimensional breast augmentation solves this problem by using a formula that calculates pre-surgery body measurements and expectations. This helps me find the most appropriate implant size and style to achieve the most natural-looking results.

To ensure that the formula works — and to help you visualize the prospective change — you will be given different sizers of breast implants to try on and assess. This ensures that the post-operative results will be as close to your intended results as possible. If trying on a certain size looks or feels unnatural, it’s easy to change before going forward with your procedure. As a result, you may benefit from the smaller sizes you mentioned to achieve a more natural look, however it really relies on a physical examination. This examination would involve taking measurements. Your original body contours (including height, weight, breast width, breast height and the distance that exists between the nipple and breast fold) alongside your desired cup size are assessed.

Size Concerns in Smaller Individual for Breast Augmentation

I always try to guide patients as they are sizing.  To give an idea of what is average, the average breast implant placed in the US is 350 ml.  Therefore, 150 cc implant would be very small.  However, I never have a problem putting in a smaller implant.  It is always a technically easier operation.  

Small frame and implants

I treat alot of women like you in NYC.  While you sound like a good candidate for implants, the only way to properly evaluate you is by seeing you in person and performing an exam and discussing your goals.  Without that it is impossible to say what is best.

Small frame and breast implants.

Thanks for sharing your story. It seems you're pretty petite. It also sounds like you didin't have a good consult with the surgeon you saw. It's always a good idea to get at least 3 consultations before having surgery. Next time, be sure you a board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Natural Looking Breast Implants?

Without a photo of some additional measurements it is not easy to give much useful advice. If you have a chance to try on implants, I find that to be a useful tool in choosing implant size. At your size, the range of implants you seem to prefer will have a visible change. I would think about getting additional consultations until you find someone who seems to be listening to you.  

RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Small frame Asian patients do well with small implants

For your frame, it would not be unusual to have a narrow breast diameter. The implants that work in this diameter are in the 220-280cc range. I'm in agreement with you that the sizes you mention are probably a good fit for you.

I prefer the moderate plus implants; the high profile implants work if the surgeon is willing to underfill them (but has higher incidence of deflation).

Also, it may be worth considering a saline implant because Asian skin does not hide the larger incision required by silicone implants.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Implants

i would advise you to find a surgeon that shares your expectations and who can deliver them also. The high profile implant is not right for many patients and do not provide natural results

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS