Real Pain with Juvederm Injections Around Mouth. Can This Be Avoided?

Rate it right up there with getting a Tat! Hesitant to do it again tho I like the results. What can help me. Thanks!

Excellent way to reduce the pain of Juvederm injections

+3

Another option that I don't see mentioned here is to take 2 Ibuprofen 200 mg, and 1 Tylenol 500 mg, 1 hour prior to injection. This helps to reduce the acute pain of the injection and can compliment the other means of pain control discussed already, such as topical anesthetic, ice, and nerve blocks. However, one should not be taking the Ibuprofen or any NSAIDS on regular basis which would increase bruising risk.

Eugene Oculoplastic Surgeon

Best Way to Decrease Pain of Juvederm Injections in Lips

+2

Hi Samlyn,

Numbing cream, ice, local nerve blocks, and juvederm with local anesthetic in it all can be used to make your lip injection experience much less painful than either getting tatoos or being married for 20 years.  Pucker up and enjoy your lips. 

Dr. P

Blunt cannulas are the way to go for Juvederm around the mouth!

+2

Using this new innovative technique, you can get your Juvederm around the mouth with very minimal discomfort.  I just use topical and have very comfortable clients.  Even injecting the lips is relatively easy with blunt cannulas.  Bruising is also significantly reduced or eliminated with blunt cannulas.  I now inject exclusively with this technique and have been for the past 4 months.  It's the way to go!!!

Avoiding pain from juvederm around mouth

+2
Juvederm or Restylane or Prevelle (all hyaluronic acid fillers) can cause severe pain when injected in the upper or lower lip. I always give nerve blocks (infraorbital and mental) before injecting any of them in the lips. The pain from the nerve block is mild compared with the pain from injecting any hyaluronic acid filler in the lips. For Juvederm injections in areas other than lips, a simple numbing cream application usually suffices to make them bearable.
Chicago Dermatologist

Decreasing pain from dermal filler injections

+2
There are several ways to approach this around the mouth: 1. Topical numbing creams applied 30-45 minutes prior to injection 2. Dental blocks - injecting lidocaine inside the mouth to block nerves that sense pain the the lower half of the face. Juvederm and most other temporary fillers now come in versions containing lidocaine, so that helps as well. I usually use a combination of nerve blocks and topical creams.
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm doesn't have to hurt!

+2

Hi Samlyn-

There are many ways to decrease pain/discomfort with facial fillers around the face and lips.  Like most facial fillers, Juvederm now comes with anesthesia medicine (lidocaine) directly mixed in with the product.  This helps to decrease pain considerably.  In the lips, however, as you have discovered this may be inadequate.  A dental block is the next rung on the ladder in the fight against pain.  This works very well and can nearly if not totally eliminate pain from the procedure.  The only downside is that your mouth will stay numb for about 90 minutes to 2 hrs afterwards.  I wouldn't give up just yet if you enjoy the results!

Dr. Singer

How to Reduce the Discomfort From Juvederm Injections Around the Mouth

+2

I have been injecting lips for cosmetic enhancement for over 25 years. During this time, I have used many methods of anesthesia to reduce the pain of lip injections which include topical numbing agents, ice application, and regional nerve blocks. In my opinion, nothing compares with a technique known as a "dental block". The initial injections are done using an intra-oral technique. After swabbing an area on the mucous membranes inside the lip with a numbing solution used by dentists (called a Caine Tip), I inject a local anesthetic (lidocaine) at several points to completely block the nerve sensory fibers from reaching the lip. It is quick and relatively simple to do, quite reliable, and results in almost painless injection treatments for lip enhancement.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/juvederm/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm

+2

Your PS can administer a dental block or apply a topical anesthetic about 45 min prior to your procedure-that will definitely take the edge off

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Pain with Juvederm injections around mouth

+2

There are a few things that can be done to decrease the pain of filler injections, including anesthetic in the Juvederm filler, pre-numbing with topical anesthetic, a nerve block and having your injector ice the area prior to injection.  With these measures, the procedure should not be as uncomfortable as getting a tattoo.

San Diego Dermatologist

Avoiding discomfort with Juvederm injections

+1

Greetings~

Having Juvederm injected does not need to be as bad as a tattoo.  We apply topical anesthetic for patients prior to injections to minimize discomfort.  For the lip area, nerve blocks are an option as well (though most patients do fine without them).  And last, but certainly not least, good old fashioned ice works great as well.  You can also request that the provider injecting you use Juvederm (or one of the HA fillers) with lidocaine in it for extra anesthetic effect.

Good luck!

Dr. Grant Stevens    

Web reference: http://www.marinaplasticsurgery.com