How to Keep Juvederm Ultra Plus from Migrating?

I Just Had Juvederm Ultra Plus Injected in my Cheeks, What is the Best Way to Keep the Filler from Moving Around?

Migrating Not Typically Problem with Filler in Cheeks

Following injection with Juvéderm Ultra Plus, the filler is usually fixed in place and held by the surrounding connective tissue.  However, aggressive massaging could cause the filler to become dislodged. We tell patients not to massage the area or to get a facial massage for the first 24 hours after the treatment, but migrating typically is not a problem. 

Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Rarely Migrates

Injectable fillers stay in the areas where they are injected and do not move freely under the skin. While it is possible to slightly mold the filler within its injected location it is not possible to manipulate the product into another location, nor does the product move on its own.

If you notice volume migrating it is most likely swelling. Swelling is temporary and resolves spontaneously, usually by about one week after treatment.

How to keep the Juvederm from migrating

Juvederm injected in the tear troughs may migrate. Everywhere else it tends to stay put.  I don't recommend massaging the injected area for the first day or two as it can mold the gel somewhat differently than intended.  But generally, for Juvederm in the cheeks, there is not much concern about migrating.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra Plus Migration

In my experience, Juvederm does not easily migrate in the face.  It tends to stay where it was injected and molded into place.  I always advise our patients to keep their hands off and do not manipulate the product. 

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

How to Care for Your Skin After Juvederm Injections

I advise all my patients to keep a "hands off" approach to the treated areas after any filler injections. At the time of the injection treatments, I will massage all of the filler products so they are exactly where I want them. Once my patient leaves the office they have been instructed to wash the area gently and to use sunscreens and moisturizing lotions as needed. Both Juvederm and Restylane are made of hyaluronic acid, a natural component of the skin. They will often cause immediate swelling which can be made worse by the patient manipulating the area. So the best way to keep the filler from "moving around" would be to leave it alone!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm doesn't migrate

While Juvederm doesn't usually migrate, you can help minimize any risk of migrationg by not touching or rubbing your face after your treatment. You shouldn't massage the area, and if you find that there are any lumps or bumps, please see your injector so that they can massage these out for you.

Preventing Juvederm Ultra from migrating post injection into cheeks

If the injector is an experienced and expert physician, then juvederm migration is rare.

From a patient perspective, do not massage in the area, follow post treatment directions, and request clarification prior to doing any activity that may displace the product.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Juvederm Ultra Plus should not migrate

For the first week, you should avoid massaging the areas, retinols and facials.  Try to sleep on your back, not on your cheeks.  Once any bruising or swelling has resolved, you can return to your normal routine. 

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Juvederm rarely, ever, migrates

Avoid heavy or aggressive/vigorous massage the first day.  It is extremely rare to hear of cases of Juvederm or Restylane migration.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm does not migrate

You don't need to worry about Juvederm that has been injected into the skin from migrating.  While the product can be slightly dispersed by massage (how we blend the edges), it can't be "milked" across the face to a new location.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon