A Question About Sliding Genioplasty?

I am interested in possibly undergoing sliding genioplasty in order to have a more projected chin. I am aware of the titanium plate utilized to hold the two segments of the mandible in place, which I understand eventually fuse once again in a matter of months, correct? Nonetheless, although I have read it is not necessary to remove the titanium plate eventually, can it be removed per the patient's request?

Removing plate after sliding genioplasty

+1

Although it's not standard to remove the plate after sliding genioplasty, it should be possible to do in a staged manner once your bone segments have healed back together.

You can read more about sliding genioplasty at my web reference link below.

Removal of Fixation Plate After Sliding Genioplasty

+1

Certainly the titanium step plate can be removed after a sliding genioplasty. But I would wait a full six months after surgery before doing so to let the advanced bone segment fully heal.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD