Question About Lipo to Tighten the Jowls and Neck After a Facelift

I recently had a facelift and everything is coming back. I am really concerned with my jowls and my skin from my neck and that's the reason I had this done and I used a great surgeon. I was told that having lipo to tighten my jowls and my neck would be the best solution.

My question is would that only be a band aid for a short time and then come back again and was also told that I can't have anything done for 6 months from the surgery date. I'm just trying to understand all of this.

Liposuction will not tighten skin of jowls and neck after Facelift Surgery

If you have excess fat and NO LOOSE SKIN in your neck after Facelift then Liposuction may help. New laser Liposuction may also help tighten the skin a small amount.

However if you truly have jowls and neck folds caused by skin laxity Liposuction will not adequately tighten neck and jowl skin.

In fact using Liposuction near the angle of the lips can cause serious irreversible nerve injury and a crooked mouth.

If you have significant jowls and neck laxity after a Facelift it is very likely you will need a revision Facelift with emphasis on the lower face and neck. This likely needs to include an incision under the chin and a Platysmaplasty-a procedure to suture tighten the neck muscles under the chin. This procedure should give you a nice tight neck and jaw line

Lipo for jowls

As we age, certain areas of our face lose volume selectively more than others. This may accentuate the jowl. One key aspect of a youthful appearance is maintaining facial volume. Sometimes adding volume to other areas will create a youthful look and diminish the jowl. 

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction to Tighten Jowls and Neck

Liposuction will remove bulk but will not, as an isolated procedure, tighten the jowl and neck skin in a revision of your previous facelift. It is best to wait at least 6 months after the first operation. Make sure you and your surgeon agree on the goals of any future work.

Tighteting jowls and neck

You will get some relaxation of the face after the swelling resolves.  Unless you had a lot of fat I wouldn't liposuction your face.  It can tend to leave some irregularities. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lipo after a Facelift

Whether or not liposuction may help after a facelift really depends on the individual and his/her neck features. If there is a significant degree of fat, then liposuction will improve the neck and jawline. However, the problem of excess skin remains. After about 30 years of age, the elasticity of the skin decreases to the point that if liposuction was successfully in removing excess fat, you could be left with dimpled, redundant skin. Ideally liposuction, if appropriate, would be combined with the original facelift. However, if not done, I would wait at least 6 months before deciding on a secondary procedure. It is possible that there is still some degree of swelling and fullness in the surgical area which will continue to contract and tighten as the healing process continues. It is very difficult to assess this until at least 3 months have passed after your surgery.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reoccuring jowls and neck laxity after a facelift will likely need revision

Reoccuring jowls and neck laxity after a face / neck lift likely will need some type of revision.  Liposuction could handle some of these issues, if these issues are related to excessive fatty tissue. The concern with just employing liposuction is the layering of the skin.  With the reduction of fat, the skin will be of relative excess and may or may not redrape the way you would like it to.  Also often the reoccurance is not due to loosening, it is often due to the loss of swelling from the process that was acting to pull back the neck and jowls.  I know that there are certain things that you really need to do for the neck to be properly shaped and formed.  You need to remove all the necessary fat that has accumulated and also you really have to treat the neck thoroughly to pull it tight.  You need to do a corset neck lift and this needs to be done with an attention to detail.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lipo will not do it

Sorry but liposuction will not tighten your jowls, especially if your problem is skin laxity. If you have recent post lift skin laxity, your skin elasticity may be the culprit. It's best to see your surgeon for follow up and get a treatment plan for your individual condition.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction after a facelift

Liposuction simply removes fatty deposits in the neck. It will not tighten the jowls that were tightened during the facelift.  To tighten the neck and the jowls, loose facial skin and  muscles are tightened with the facelift. Without a full set of pictures  and an examination, it is difficult to know what is happening with the aging process

Liposuction of jowls and neck

A well-performed face and neck lift should last much longer than just a year or two. If adequate fatty tissue was not removed, lipo-sculpturing of the area or laser liposuction may help to reduce the bulkiness of the jowls.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Its not forever

Some area more than other tend to loose volume with age, a facelift might help but it might even help with the facial muses tones. Still the results do wear off after some time.

Jonathan Fisher, MD