Question About Lipo to Tighten the Jowls and Neck After a Facelift

I recently had a facelift and everything is coming back. I am really concerned with my jowls and my skin from my neck and that's the reason I had this done and I used a great surgeon. I was told that having lipo to tighten my jowls and my neck would be the best solution.

My question is would that only be a band aid for a short time and then come back again and was also told that I can't have anything done for 6 months from the surgery date. I'm just trying to understand all of this.

Liposuction will not tighten skin of jowls and neck after Facelift Surgery

+3

If you have excess fat and NO LOOSE SKIN in your neck after Facelift then Liposuction may help. New laser Liposuction may also help tighten the skin a small amount.

However if you truly have jowls and neck folds caused by skin laxity Liposuction will not adequately tighten neck and jowl skin.

In fact using Liposuction near the angle of the lips can cause serious irreversible nerve injury and a crooked mouth.

If you have significant jowls and neck laxity after a Facelift it is very likely you will need a revision Facelift with emphasis on the lower face and neck. This likely needs to include an incision under the chin and a Platysmaplasty-a procedure to suture tighten the neck muscles under the chin. This procedure should give you a nice tight neck and jaw line

Lipo for jowls

+3

As we age, certain areas of our face lose volume selectively more than others. This may accentuate the jowl. One key aspect of a youthful appearance is maintaining facial volume. Sometimes adding volume to other areas will create a youthful look and diminish the jowl. 

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction to Tighten Jowls and Neck

+2

Liposuction will remove bulk but will not, as an isolated procedure, tighten the jowl and neck skin in a revision of your previous facelift. It is best to wait at least 6 months after the first operation. Make sure you and your surgeon agree on the goals of any future work.

Tighteting jowls and neck

+2

You will get some relaxation of the face after the swelling resolves.  Unless you had a lot of fat I wouldn't liposuction your face.  It can tend to leave some irregularities. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lipo after a Facelift

+2

Whether or not liposuction may help after a facelift really depends on the individual and his/her neck features. If there is a significant degree of fat, then liposuction will improve the neck and jawline. However, the problem of excess skin remains. After about 30 years of age, the elasticity of the skin decreases to the point that if liposuction was successfully in removing excess fat, you could be left with dimpled, redundant skin. Ideally liposuction, if appropriate, would be combined with the original facelift. However, if not done, I would wait at least 6 months before deciding on a secondary procedure. It is possible that there is still some degree of swelling and fullness in the surgical area which will continue to contract and tighten as the healing process continues. It is very difficult to assess this until at least 3 months have passed after your surgery.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reoccuring jowls and neck laxity after a facelift will likely need revision

+2

Reoccuring jowls and neck laxity after a face / neck lift likely will need some type of revision.  Liposuction could handle some of these issues, if these issues are related to excessive fatty tissue. The concern with just employing liposuction is the layering of the skin.  With the reduction of fat, the skin will be of relative excess and may or may not redrape the way you would like it to.  Also often the reoccurance is not due to loosening, it is often due to the loss of swelling from the process that was acting to pull back the neck and jowls.  I know that there are certain things that you really need to do for the neck to be properly shaped and formed.  You need to remove all the necessary fat that has accumulated and also you really have to treat the neck thoroughly to pull it tight.  You need to do a corset neck lift and this needs to be done with an attention to detail.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Its not forever

+1

Some area more than other tend to loose volume with age, a facelift might help but it might even help with the facial muses tones. Still the results do wear off after some time.

Jonathan Fisher, MD

Lipo and facelifts

+1

Liposuction After a Facelift

Liposuction will remove excess fat, but will not tighten your jowls and neck. This procedure is not designed to tighten sagging tissue, merely to contour party of your body.I agree with your surgeon that you should wait at least 6 months before pursuing another procedure. More importantly, it sounds like you need a second opinion from a board certified Plastic or Facial Plastic Surgeon who specializes in facelifts.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Liposuction removes fat but does not inherently tighten skin and soft tissue

+1

Hello Mia,

Thank you for the question and sorry that you are concerned about your face lift result.  If laxity of the tissues deep to the skin are an issue you may want to consider something like Ulthera.  It helps tighten the tissue deep to the skin without affecting the skin.  You may have to wait until all healing is done or your plastic surgeon thinks it is to do so.  Liposuction would only be helpful if there was excess fat in the neck area and the skin quality and tone is good, otherwise liposuction should not be considered as a tightening procedure.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

It’s important to let the area heal and stabilize first.

+1

It is very common to wait 6 to 9 months after a surgical procedure before having any type of revision or secondary procedure. It’s important to let the area heal and stabilize first. Depending on the type of face lift you had, will determine the longevity and how soon you may need a touch up. If just the skin was lifted and NOT the underlying muscles your skin may continue to relax and finding a secondary method of skin tightening will be important. Liposuction may or may not help tighten the skin. Other non-surgical treatments are available to help tone and tighten skin such as Ultherapy. Ultherapy is the first nonsurgical technology approved by the FDA to tighten and lift skin with NO downtime and very little if any, risk. See your surgeon regarding liposuction VS. Ultherapy or seek out a board certified facial plastic surgeon who offers Ulthera for a second opinion.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon