I Am 73 Years Old and in Good Health - Am I Too Old for a Facelift?

Age 73 is Absolutely not Too Old Fo a Facelift! Live Life to the Fullest!

+3

Hi, and hey, you are still young.  I operate on people in their 70s and 80s all the time.   HEALTH is the issue.  There are 50 year old patients I would not touch because of health and 89 YEAR OLDS THAT ARE FINE.  Age is irrelevant.  Health is important.   If you are 85 and in great health I will do your facelift with great success.  My anesthesiologists call every patient and assure safety and security.  I was born in 1942 and so was my wife.  My wife had a recent facelift by me  and someday I may aso.  At present I am so busy tuning up the 1942 gang I have no time for a facelift for mysely but soon I may set time aside and have one of my favorite local plastic surgeons do my lift.  What joy!  I feel 27 and hike 30miles a day.  AGE IS NEVER AN OBSTACE.  At 73 you are just a young fellow or lady.    Every day is precious whether  16 or 106.   Go for whatever helps you live your life to the fullest.  My very very best to you!  Dr G Commos.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Best Time for a Facelift

+3

The best time for a Facelift is when you are ready to do it.  If you are healthy, have realistic expections and what to look as good as you feel- that is the right time to do a facelift.   Doing a facelift in a 70 year old patient is entirely normal and fine to do however one must be more conservative in this age group as the skin and deep facial layers may be thinner and delicate .  

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Is 73 too old?

+2

in boca raton fl, where I am, 73 may be too young. just kidding. truth is there are options for every age as long as health and physiology is good. I do think operating on the >70 crowd is unique and encourage you to ask to see photos not from a book but from a cohort of similar pts. if the surgeon cannot show you pts similar to you with good results, keep looking.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Am 73 Years Old and in Good Health - Am I Too Old for a Facelift?

+2

Age alone is not a contraindication to face lift surgery. I would rather work with a healthy 73 year old than a 60 year old with multiple health issues. If your plastic surgeon and your primary care physician believe you are healthy enough for surgery, then I see no reason why it can't be done.

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Age and facelift

+2

Chronologic age has nothing to do with being a good candidate for a facelift.  An exam by a board certified plastic surgeon will assess your candidacy for a procedure.  This exam will assess the physical and mental state and the quality of the tissues.  We have all seen fifty year olds that look seventy and seventy year olds that look fifty.  Overall physical health is of utmost importance.  Discuss risks and benefits with your surgeon.

Wishing you all the best.

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Your overall health is more important than your age...

+2

There is no ideal age for a Facelift and there is no age that is too old. Last week a I did a Facelift on a healthy 72 year old that had better skin than most 60 year olds I see. If you are healthy and have reasonably good skin you may be a great Facelift candidate. If you have heart disease or other medical issues or have very sun damaged, weak skin you may not be the ideal patient for a Facelift.  Hope this helps....

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Age is a state of mind...

+2

Age alone is not an predictor of how tyou will do with facial rejuvenation surgery.  Your board certified plastic surgeon needs to review your medical history and overall health status to determine if you are medically a good candidate for elective surgery.  In addition, your surgeon may request medicine clearance (an evaluation by your PCP or internist before surgery).  Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Age is Evaluated by Health and Physiology for Facelift

+2

In SW Florida, it is not unusual to see a patient considering Facelift at age 70 or older.  The criteria in patient selection is much more related to general health than to chronological age.  Some patients at age 53 are worse candidates for Facelift surgery than at age 73. A realistic motivated patient who is in good general health and a nonsmoker is often a very good Facelift candidate.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

73 is not too old for facelift surgery

+2

With your health strong, you should be safely able to have a facelift and enjoy its benefits.  There is a differance between chronologic age and physiologic age.  If you are active and vigerous, being in your 70's or 80's should not be a barrier to a facelift.  Most surgeons would ask you to be cleared by your primary care doctor and have an EKG and some minor blood work.  My patient age range stretches from 40's to 80's and all did well.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Facelift in their 70's

+2

Provided your health is good and you pass the preoperative tests, it is possible for patients to have facelifting surgery well into their 70's.  We would typically ask patients older than 50 to have a stress test, cardiogram and physical exam and blood tests.

For many ladies who have waited until they are in their 70's, they view their facelift as a reward for a lifetime of hard work.

Brent Moelleken, MD