Purple Looking Spot on Side of Nose Tip After Rhinoplasty

Hi I had an open rhinoplasty about 3 weeks ago there is a purple spot at the tip of my nose I did get a graft at that site as well as some rounding of the tip I should also mention i do have thin skin. My ps is on vacation.

Bruise on nasal tip following surgery

Watch this area carefully.  It may be no more than a limited bruise from the recently performed surgery, but could also be the suggestion that a thinned out area is developing and the cartilage graft may be putting pressure on this skin.  If this were to worsen, there could develop a hole or disruption in the nasal tip through which the graft could be lost.  You may want to consider asking your Family doctor or Internist for a recommendation to see another Plastic Surgeon in the absence of your doctor.  Good luck.

Purple shinny tip after open rhinoplasty ... what to do

The color of your nose may just be a common post operative phenomenon. However, it could also be a sign your tip is in eminent danger. Your surgeon is the only one who can tell for sure. You need to see the doctor he has covering for him while he is on vacation.
I hope that this is helpful for you . Jon Sattler, MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Glendora, California.

Jon Sattler, MD
Glendora Plastic Surgeon

Redness in tip after Rhinoplasty

I would be concerned about such skin changes at the tip.  Please contact your Plastic Surgeon, or whomever is covering for his/her practice.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Purple nasal tip

There are several possibilities for a purple tip. From the photo it looks like you have some swelling so this could be just a collection of fluid or blood. It could also be due to blood flow issues. I would call your surgeons office and see whoever is covering for him if he is not back in town yet.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Purple spot

You should ask if there is a covering doctor to examine you. Thin skin is a t greater risk for problems with poor circulation especially if you are a smoker. You also want to be sure there is no suture reaction or infection.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post-op

Each situation is unique and only your rhinoplasty surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure and should be the person commenting on post-operative questions such as this

Sam Naficy, MD

Purple tip 3 weeks after Open Rhinoplasty

You should be seen by your plastic and cosmetic surgeon ASAP or by someone that can see you in his/her absemce.  Redness over the nasal tip, after an Open Rhinoplasty can mean many things....none of them, good.

1. Decreased blood flow to the lifted skin over the nasal tip
  2. Irritation from an underlying suture
  3. Smoldering skin infection

The nasal tip should not be, nor is it typically red 3 weeks after an Open Rhinoplasty, IMHO

Discoloration after rhinoplasty

It is not uncommon to have some discoloration of the tip of the nose after a rhinoplasty procedure. However, it may represent something going on underneath and I would call the office of the surgeon you had the procedure so that they can better advise you.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is early on after the surgery ,wait for your plastic surgeon to return from vacation and go and see him/her for  opinion. and advice.

Erel Laufer, MD
Dunedin Plastic Surgeon