Fraxel Restore - Safe After Rhinoplasty?

I had Rhinoplasty 8 months ago and since developed hyperpigmentation (redness & darkening) on my nose. It's only on the lower half, but bothers me really bad as the the skin on the rest of my face is quite nice! I'm 29 half-hispanic/caucasian with light olive skin tone. My doctor said he could laser it in a year(post-op). Would I be a candidate for Fraxel laser or another procedure to diminish it? I use zinc oxide sunblock on face, but have trouble finding a good one for the body?

Fraxel safe 8 months after Rhinoplasty

+2

The rule of thumb is to wait 1 year after a Rhinoplasty to have any laser skin resurfacing to the nasal skin and IMHO, this would include the Fraxel.  This maybe a bit conservative but is based on the premise that the nasal skin needs the blood supply to be re-established after it was disrupted during the Rhinoplasty.  The blood supply should be restored after 1 year.  IMHO, wait the extra 4 months until you're 1 year post Rhinoplasty before having Fraxel to the nose.

Laser post Rhinoplasty

+2
I would consult a good laser specialist. You have a few issues to address, with the first being what type of discoloration do you have on your nose? Is it pigmentation of the skin or discoloration as you state from your Rhinoplasty. Discoloration of the skin in rhinoplasty surgery is uncommon and not knowing your exact procedure makes it difficult to advise you. You stated that you use zinc oxide on your face so I am assuming you are in the sun a lot. If the discoloration is pigmentation aggravated by sun exposure there are many laser techniques to help this. However there is always concern with nationality and skin tone on which lasers to use and this would be decided upon by a good qualified laser specialist in your area. Answering your overall question regarding time frame for laser the answer is yes one year post operative is perfectly fine. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Laser post rhinoplasty

+2

I would certainly talk with your physician. In general laser treatments are not a problem one year after rhinoplasty. Two concerns I would have - one, is the discoloration a result of surgery and would not be responsive to laser treatment, and two, caution should always be exercised when performing laser resurfacing procedures on dark skin. I would certainly discuss your concerns with your physician.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel Restore

+1

We perform Fraxel laser resurfacing for Hyperpigmentation and Melasma fairly often and can usually obtain a more even skin tone. 8 months should be sufficient time to undergo the procedure following your rhinoplasty. Consult your Plastic Surgeon to make sure the discoloration can be treated by this laser.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Fraxel After Rhinoplasty

+1

Yes the CO2 Fraxel would be a good choice but wait 9-12 months post rhinoplasty before doing it.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-rhinoplasty hyperpigmentation

+1

A better (and much less expensive) option for you may be use of the Obagi product and a good sun screen

Sam Naficy, MD