Is It Necessary to Replace a Silicone Nose Implant After Several Years?

I've had my silicone nose implant for about 4 years now and I have never had any complications with it. Though my friends tell me that I have to replace it every 10 years. how true is this? is it necessary to replace it?

Facial nasal implants

+1

Your friends are confusing silicone breast implants with silicone nasal implants. The nasal implants are solid while the breast implants contain a gel. Epidemiologic studies from the early 1990s through 2000s showed increases in breast implant rupture rates around 10 years after implantation. This led to a recommendation to change the breast implants routinely after 10 years. The implants have changed since then so it is unclear if this recommendation still holds true. Nasal implants are solid and contain no gel so they cannot rupture. There is no need to routinely change them in the absence of any symptoms.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

A silicone nose implant does not need to be changed ever unless there is a problem.

+1

I don't use silicone nose implants yet I can state conclusively that if the implant looks good and there are no problems (infection, shifting, necessitating) it never needs to be exchanged.