Did I Pull out Grafts One Week After a Hair Transplant? (photo)

I'm 24 year old male. I had a hair transplant of 3000 grafts 7 days ago. Tonight I washed my hair and gently rubbed it with my fingers because that's how my doctor advised me. What really scared me is that I could see some scabs in my hand that looked like grafts. They were the same size and they had hair in it. Is it possible that I pulled out some? And also, is it normal that my head is still full of scabs after 7 days? Shouldn't it heal faster? Are these cracks on my head normal?

Did I Pull out Grafts One Week After a Hair Transplant?

Incredibly unlikely at this point as the top layer of skin usually seals after 5-6 days. The cracks you see at the top are usually due to irregular dissolving of the scabs giving these patterns. All should be good and follow your doctor's instructions

Manchester Hair Restoration Surgeon

Crack can be normal but probably means you're not washing well

Crack can be normal but probably means you're not washing well.  You should follow up with your doctor for a recheck.  Doctors generally instruct patients to wash their hair in 1 day.  You will lose your transplanted hair as well as some of your native hair weeks after surgery. You may look worse before it starts to look better. It may take 6 to 12 months to see the results of a hair transplant
surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Did I pull out grafts

From the pictures that I'm looking at, it does not appear as though you pulled out any graphs however, you yourself would know better if you actually pull them out or accidentally scratched your head vigorously during the first week or so . I believe what I'm looking at is separation in the scabs at the graft sites and not missing follicular units so I would not worry however, if you are concerned, I would make a follow-up appointment with your hair transplant surgeon for a careful close-up examination, but I'm encouraged that you will be fine and obtain an excellent result. The downside is being patient and that you won't see any growth for a minimum of six months and possibly as long as 9 to 10 months.

Cracks on Head

The cracks you describe on your head is a normal scabbing process after a procedure so I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Nonetheless, it is always best to contact your surgeon with questions and/or concerns.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Probably normal

By seven days most but not all of the scabbing will be gone.  The follicles should be "sealed" into place after week.  The hair may fall out (and be attached to the scab) but that doesn't mean the follicle came out. 

Tim Neavin, MD

Post op regiment after hair transplant surgery

The hair shaft is attached to the follicle and detaches after the surgery.   The detached hair shaft will come out with the scabs.  Usually the first ten days the scabs start to fall off.  We usually give our patients a post op regiment to make the wound and the recipient area heal faster. If our clients follow direction, then within two weeks all the scabs would have fallen off.  When you wash or rub the recipient areas, you may notice scabs fall off with the detached hair.  However, the follicle remains and will start to grow in a few months after the procedure.  

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scabbing is normal one to two weeks after hair transplants

What you described is completely normal. Seven days after the surgery, signs of wounding in the donor area should deplete. Scabs in the recipient area will typically fall off within seven to 14 days. At just a week after your surgery, you are still in the normal time frame for scabs to fall off. Additional shedding is possible for up to eight weeks. Both areas will continue to heal with virtually no scarring. If after two months, you are still having scabbing and shedding, then contact your surgeon. Additionally, if excessive hair loss continues while showering, contact your surgeon immediately. This may be a complication. A patient can expect new hair growth in 14 to 16 weeks, which usually maxes out at a year. New hair will continue to mature and thicken for up to a year and a half after the FUE surgery. Follow-ups with the surgeon will continue during this time to track progress.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair loss after a hair transplant

This could be normal.  It is hard to tell from the photos but the history doesnt sound out of line.  

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Scabs with hairs one week after a hair tanspl ant.

This is the normal course of events in that the crusts with the hairs fall out  after about a week or two. The hair the start to regrow after 3 months. If they fall out within the first 3 days, then the grafts may have been lost. Your transplant surgeon should have told you about this and you should discuss it with him/her. Then cracks that show up on photography likely represent where the crusts fell off.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Grafts pulled out

The events you described are probably normal, but best determined by in-person exam with your surgeon.  Most likely you are describing the normal "shedding" of scab which can often be accompanied by with hair shaft (but hopefully not bulb or follicle).   This can certainly continue for up to two weeks post procedure, so you are well within the expected course.  We do not use a rubbing technique, but only a "tapping" shampoo technique during the first two weeks.  You should contact your doctor immediately to make sure you are following his/her instructions properly.  The "cracks" are likely where larger scab or scab clusters have shed.  We use a water/spray technique immediately after the procedure to reduce size and amount of scabbing.  This can reduce dryness and itchiness as well.