Did I Pull out Grafts One Week After a Hair Transplant? (photo)

I'm 24 year old male. I had a hair transplant of 3000 grafts 7 days ago. Tonight I washed my hair and gently rubbed it with my fingers because that's how my doctor advised me. What really scared me is that I could see some scabs in my hand that looked like grafts. They were the same size and they had hair in it. Is it possible that I pulled out some? And also, is it normal that my head is still full of scabs after 7 days? Shouldn't it heal faster? Are these cracks on my head normal?

Scabs with hairs one week after a hair tanspl ant.

+2

This is the normal course of events in that the crusts with the hairs fall out  after about a week or two. The hair the start to regrow after 3 months. If they fall out within the first 3 days, then the grafts may have been lost. Your transplant surgeon should have told you about this and you should discuss it with him/her. Then cracks that show up on photography likely represent where the crusts fell off.

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Losing Grafts After Washing

+1
Hi there, and thanks for your question. What you're describing is a common occurrence. It's normal for the follicles to shed following hair transplant, especially when agitated by an activity such as washing your hair. This will not harm your results, and it doesn't mean that your procedure was ineffective.

If you notice continued follicular loss, or if you feel that your loss is excessive, contact your doctor for a follow-up evaluation. Good luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Scabbing is normal one to two weeks after hair transplants

+1

What you described is completely normal. Seven days after the surgery, signs of wounding in the donor area should deplete. Scabs in the recipient area will typically fall off within seven to 14 days. At just a week after your surgery, you are still in the normal time frame for scabs to fall off. Additional shedding is possible for up to eight weeks. Both areas will continue to heal with virtually no scarring. If after two months, you are still having scabbing and shedding, then contact your surgeon. Additionally, if excessive hair loss continues while showering, contact your surgeon immediately. This may be a complication. A patient can expect new hair growth in 14 to 16 weeks, which usually maxes out at a year. New hair will continue to mature and thicken for up to a year and a half after the FUE surgery. Follow-ups with the surgeon will continue during this time to track progress.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair loss after a hair transplant

+1

This could be normal.  It is hard to tell from the photos but the history doesnt sound out of line.  

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist