Puffy Nipples Month After Gynecomastia Surgery, Is This Normal? (photo)

hi, i had gyno surgery 4 weeks ago now on both sides via lipo & incision, i have noticed a big difference in the right areola as it is only a little bit puffy now, However my left areola is still puffy, is this normal at 4 weeks ? whats causing this? any help?? my surgeon has said he doesn't know if its going to get flatter and hes ment to be one of the best in the uk.

Be a Patient Patient

At 4 weeks post-op, your recovery is still in its infancy, and your result will continue to change for up to a year.  The most rapid change following gynecomastia surgery is seen during the first 6 weeks, but even long after that, there are significant changes that usually occur.  I would advise you to think of your surgery like this.  You bring your car in to the paint shop to be painted.  They tell you to come back in 2 weeks, but you peek in the window at 1 week and you are not happy with what you see.  Surgery is the same way, but on a longer time scale.  You need to patient, but its hard to do.

Under normal circumstances, the only conditions that absolutely require surgery in the early post-op period are fluid, blood or pus collections, wound separation, or tissue necrosis (death).  Otherwise, the general rule in surgery is to wait at least 4-5 months for most of the swelling to resolve and the majority of healing to occur.  At that time, an evaluation of your condition would determine if you need revisional surgery.

I hope this answers your questions.   Good luck!

Puffy Nipples Month After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi balgownie,

Thanks for the post and the photos. It appears that your result at one month is quite good. Final results can take up to six months so be patient.  The important question is whether the left nipple has been puffy since right after the surgery or whether it has started to become puffy again. This is important because there is a chance that you may be developing scar tissue under the left areola or that there is residual breast tissue. I recommend you keep in close communication with your surgeon.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Give it more time to heal.  After 6-8 months, your surgeon may re-evaluate and determine whether you will need further subareola tissue excision to reduce the prominence of the areola.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Puffy nipples

Obviously it is too early to say what is going on but if the nipple areolar complex does not shrink over time you may benefit from further surgery

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Too early to know if puffy nipples will resolve after gynecomastia surgery

Many times puffy nipples in males is associated with gynecomastia. When the gynecomastia is corrected the nipples generally shrink down as well.   You just need more time for the condition to resolve.  

Gynecomastia Surgery Results?

Thank you for the question  I have pictures.

It is still too early to evaluate the end results of your surgery. Keep in mind, that some asymmetry is likely to be present after any  type of surgical procedure. It will be much better to have slight “puffiness” as opposed to a crater deformity secondary to over resection.

I would suggest that you allow for several more months to pass before you evaluate the end results of the procedure. In the meantime, refrain from unnecessary “worry” (since this does not help),  allow time for skin contraction, and continue close folow up with your plastic surgeon.

Puffy Nipples Month After Gynecomastia Surgery, Is This Normal?

The posted photos demonstrate a very EARLY healing of the N/A complexes. Allow at least 2 months before concerning yourself about further revision.  

Puffiness of areola

Puffiness in the areola may be dues to swelling.  It is too early to see the final result. Give it some more time.

Nipple puffiness after gynecomastia correction

Four weeks postop, this wouldn't be unusual and will need to settle down.  If you are unhappy with the shape of the nipple in the future, it can certainly be revised but this is nothing to rush into.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Gynecomastia correction can be successfully revised.

Hi.

Of course you should not do anything for four months, but I am afraid you may eventually be happier with a revision.  You will probably benefit by nipple flattening and reduction, on both sides.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)