Is Massage Recommended For Lumpy Feeling After Gynecomastia Surgery?

Hello, I had lipo/gland excision done to correct gynecomastia 2 weeks ago and things seem to be progressing nicely. I have some hard lumps underneath my nipples, presumably scar tissue and I have read that massaging is a good way to break up the tissue and soften things up. How should massaging be done. Should it hurt, i.e. pain ok or should it be done gently. ALso what type of lotion should be used. Just looking for any suggestions. Can't get in touch with my doctor as of now. Thanks

Massage for “Lumpy Feeling” after Gynecomastia Surgery?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone surgery for gynecomastia correction. Gentle massage of the areas treated can be helpful. There is no specific “right way” to massage the area; I would suggest using a lotion that you know you are not allergic to and using a circular motion with 2 fingers over the treated areas. Confirm with your plastic surgeon that there are no contraindications to this maneuver.

Massaging after gynecomastia

+1

Hi!

After your incisions have healed, I do recommend massaging the scar
tissue. It will help loosen and break up the developing scar tissue
from the surgery.

Good luck!

Dr. Sam Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Breast massage after male breast surgery

+1

It is common to experience some lumpiness after many surgeries in the subcutaneous plane ( i.e. between the skin and the fascia and muscle).  Gynecomastia correction is in this group of procedures. The lumps are clumps of fatty tissue that hold water like a sponge and some scar tissue.  Massage of these areas can help hasten their resolution of the lumps but is not mandatory.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Massage after surgery

+1

The answer is yes massage helps the smoothness of the skin and break up the scar tissue. It should be done after the incisions have healed to prevent the wound from opening. Lymphatic massage helps reduce the edema. It would be wise for you to see a physical therapist to learn the proper techniques before doing it on your own.

Best of luck 

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon