Is Massage Recommended For Lumpy Feeling After Gynecomastia Surgery?

Hello, I had lipo/gland excision done to correct gynecomastia 2 weeks ago and things seem to be progressing nicely. I have some hard lumps underneath my nipples, presumably scar tissue and I have read that massaging is a good way to break up the tissue and soften things up. How should massaging be done. Should it hurt, i.e. pain ok or should it be done gently. ALso what type of lotion should be used. Just looking for any suggestions. Can't get in touch with my doctor as of now. Thanks

Gynecomastia

What you feel is scar tissue forming in the background of edema.  Massaging does help soften the tissue but ultimately time is the ultimate fix.  Some doctors will inject dilute steroids into the hard areas so soften them.  But it will soften.  They all do.

Massage After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi ike88,

Thanks for your post. It is not unusual to develop some firm lumps during the healing process. This is likely scar tissue that is forming. In certain cases, gentle massage is helpful to breakdown the scar tissue. However, over massage can also stimulate more inflammation. What type of lotion is up to you. If you choose to use lotion, a simple moisturizer such as eucerin or oil of olay would suffice. I recommend that you communicate these concerns with your doctor when you are able.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Massage for “Lumpy Feeling” after Gynecomastia Surgery?

Congratulations on having undergone surgery for gynecomastia correction. Gentle massage of the areas treated can be helpful. There is no specific “right way” to massage the area; I would suggest using a lotion that you know you are not allergic to and using a circular motion with 2 fingers over the treated areas. Confirm with your plastic surgeon that there are no contraindications to this maneuver.

Massaging after gynecomastia

Hi!

After your incisions have healed, I do recommend massaging the scar
tissue. It will help loosen and break up the developing scar tissue
from the surgery.

Good luck!

Dr. Sam Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Breast massage after male breast surgery

It is common to experience some lumpiness after many surgeries in the subcutaneous plane ( i.e. between the skin and the fascia and muscle).  Gynecomastia correction is in this group of procedures. The lumps are clumps of fatty tissue that hold water like a sponge and some scar tissue.  Massage of these areas can help hasten their resolution of the lumps but is not mandatory.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS
Champaign Plastic Surgeon

Massage after surgery

The answer is yes massage helps the smoothness of the skin and break up the scar tissue. It should be done after the incisions have healed to prevent the wound from opening. Lymphatic massage helps reduce the edema. It would be wise for you to see a physical therapist to learn the proper techniques before doing it on your own.

Best of luck