Contour Deformity Following Unilateral Gynecomastia Surgery, How do I Address this Issue? (photo)

I am noticing a horizontal tear-drop shaped depression. Immediately following surgery contour was perfect, then as swelling subsided I noticed this depression form at 2 weeks post op. I am currently 3 weeks post op. 1)Is there any reason to believe that contour will improve on it's own? (I am doing a lot of massaging) 2)What are the drawbacks of fat injections to address this issue? I've heard that this fat may die and become hard and look poor on animation. Thank you very much in advance.

Gynecomastia Surgical Result at Three Weeks

+1

You are still early in your recovery. I have a lot of experience with this issue and it is just not possible at this point to assess your situation. Further I have no idea what was performed surgically nor do I know what you looked liked prior to surgery. In a best case scenario the result will improve and nothing will be required. In a worst case scenario you may benefit from a revision. Even if a revision is necessary it is too early to perform one so regardless of the final outcome you are presently in a holding pattern. Good Luck!

Contour Deformity after Gynecomastia Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

One of the potential risks associated with gynecomastia surgery is contour deformity related to over resection of glandular tissue and/or adipose tissue.  This is a risk that is explained to patients who are undergoing the procedure. Many patients who have gynecomastia are looking for the chest to be as flat as possible. Surgeons must  balance their desire to achieve the patient's goals with efforts to avoid over resection and contour deformity.

You may find that your situation will be improved upon with techniques such as fat grafting,  use of allograft/dermis as a filler and/or selective liposuction of prominent areas.

Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

Dear patient,
This is most likely due to removal of excess breast and fatty tissue. This is a difficult problem to correct, I would advise you consult your physician.

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Contour after gynecomastia surgery

+1

I see what you are complaining about at two weeks, but it also may be differential swelling. Either way, you will have to give it a few months to settle down.  One of the risks of this surgery is over resection and subsequent  contour problems.

Gynecomastia correction can be successfully revised.

+1

Hi.

It's hard to be sure from your picture, but it looks like there is residual fullness on the inside and too much flatness on the outside.  I would leave every thing alone for several months, but then this can be revised.  You will probably need fat injections.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)