Will Puffiness at Ends of Incision and Swelling/ridge Above Incicion Go Away? (photo)

I'm 6 weeks post op and had a small amount of lipo and bruising at the ends of my incision. How long will the puffiness and lumpiness last? I also have swelling and a harde ridge right above the center of the incision about 4 inches on either side. Also a slightly puffy under one rib cage and will tend to swell when I've done too much... not sure if it's visible in the photos. My belly button is healing but seems red and shiny, could this be from the swelling?

Puffiness after tummy tuck and liposuction

+2

Soft tissue swelling is quite common after tummy tuck/liposuction. This can go on for even 3 to 6 months after surgery. The key is to see improvement over time. Are you slightly less swollen from one week ago? If you are improving over time from right after surgery, then you are on the right track. If your condition has been getting worse over time then you need to go back to your operating surgeon and assess why it's not improving. At 6 weeks post op, your belly button scar appears normal. Expect improvement over time.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Will Puffiness at Ends of Incision and Swelling/ridge Above Incicion Go Away?

+2

From the photos, all looks well, including the navel scarring. It appears that your surgeon has performed your surgery well. The thickness and redness of scars usually peaks at about this time (6 to 8 weeks). Swelling after liposuction and TT  can last for 3 months or longer. Many patients at this stage cannot fit into their preop jeans, yet go on to have nice results. 

Patience.

Thank you for your question, for the useful photos, and best wishes.

Swelling and Recovery after a Tummy Tuck

+1

Remember that the refinement in your result takes time, often as long as 3 to 6 months to see the truly final result. Everything that you are describing is normal and your pictures look good for an excellent result after your tummy tuck and liposuction. Small areas of residual swelling persist and exercise and a lot of activity will make other areas get temporarily swollen. This will pass by six months after your surgery. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Swelling after tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for a great question and excellent pictures, it helps.  I think your course is typical and your results are far from complete.  I am a strong believer in compression with girdles and binders and you should discuss this with your plastic surgeon. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

+1

Still very early in healing phase. If after 3 to 4 months unhappy, consider a revision. Best to discuss with your surgeon. 

Tummy tuck swelling question

+1

Looks like you are doing fine. It takes about 3 months for 90% of the swelling to go away. If there is a little extra swelling or fat at the corners after 3 months you doctor can usually take care of this in the office with a 30 minute procedure. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon