I Have Psoriasis - Can I Still Get Laser Tx for Acne Scars?

I have mild plaque psoriasis (on elbows and back of calfs primarily). I also have old acne scars from cystic acne on my cheeks. I would like to get Deepfx treatment but am concerned about psoriasis flare-up on my face. Do you recommend laser treatment if I also have psoriasis? If not, is there another treatment recommended for scar reduction/removal? Thank you Jenni

Psoriasis and the DeepFX

+1
We have been using these types of procedures for many years and I am not aware of any reports of a facial flare of psoriasis with mild plaque disease on the elbows and knees. For this reason, I would recommend that you do this type of procedure in a board-certified dermatologist’s office if you are concerned, and to make sure that they know in advance that you have psoriasis, but this would not stop me from treating your acne scars with the DeepFX.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Some thing called Koebner- learn more...

+1
Dr Osman is correct, you will need a test patch first. Our laser dermatologists always conduct test patches on conditions that may worsen with laser- examples include psoriasis, vitiligo, and lichen planus.

Koebner is the name when trauma (whether  it be a burn, graze, scratch, or laser ) worsens the condition. Hence a test patch is needed.

I have performed fractional laser, including CO2 and Fraxel on many patients with controlled psoriasis with no problems, however I consent all patients that Koebner may occur.

I hope this helps you.

Regards

Dr Davin S. Lim
Laser and cosmetic dermatologist
Brisbane and Gold Coast,
Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Psoriasis and Laser Treatment

+1
Thank you for your question. You will first need a clearance from your Dermatologist managing the psoriasis, then you can have the treatment. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Flare unlikely but do a test area to be sure

+1

Hi,

Localized psoriasis is very common, and it is well known that trauma to the skin such as a sunburn can trigger a flare.  However, I am not aware of any reports of fractional laser resurfacing triggering a flare on the face.  However, you can always treat just a small test area with a few pulses with the Deep FX to see how you respond to be safe.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon