Pros and Cons of Surgical Bra Vs. Sports Bra After Breast Augmentation?

Is it safe to wear a sports bra while recovering from breast augmentation surgery, or should I invest in a surgical bra? Does it depend on each person?

Breast Augmentation

+2

I prefer a sports bra for the 1st 2 weeks as I commonly use the incision under the breast.  I like the ones with no formed cup as they support the breast but do not rub on the incisions.  After 2 weeks when the wounds are healed any other bras are fine.  I hope this info helps.

Surgery bra or sports bra after Breast surgery.

+2

Essentially they are interchangeable.  I find a sports bra provides greater compression if it fits properly, but a surgical bra is easier for the 1st week or 2 after surgery.

Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Bra VS Sports Bra After Breast Augmentation

+1

In my opinion it really doesn't matter which one you initially wear after surgery because the implants are usually high.  Once the implants have dropped into position you do need a good support bra so that they don't drop too low. 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Post-operative bra

+1

Any well fitting bra that provides support and comfort is okay with me.  I have my patients purchase their own bra so they can get a fabric and style they like.  Of course, they need to buy a bra that is stretchy and that has cups that are too large for them pre-opertively.    I recommend a  sports bra that closes in the front.  It's a lot easier than pulling a bra over your head or hooking a bra in the back after you have had surgery.

Web reference: http://www.sowdermd.com/procedures/breast-procedures/breast-augmentation/

BEST BRA AFTER SURGERY

+1

Any comfortable bra works fine.  Avoid wires, bones, and stays for a month.   Its the surgery,  not the bra that counts.    Dr George Commons

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Surgical bra vs sports bra

+1

Surgical bras tend to have more support while sports bras tend to be more elastic (and less supportive).   In my practice a sports bra is just fine 90% of the time.  Only when I want very precise support is a surgical bra essential.  When revisions are done and implants must sit exactly as I want them to sit, a surgical bra is essential.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Web reference: http://www.plastica.ca/cosmetic-sub-breast-enlargement

Surgical Bra following breast augmentation procedure

+1

Your plastic surgeon should provide a surgical bra for you to wear following breast augmentation surgery.  Your surgical bra is part of the cost of your surgery, like post operative visits. it is VERY important to wear the appropriate bra and to follow the instructions of your surgeon. An ill-fitting bra can contribute to unwanted results after surgery.

Once it is time to start running, a sports bra that fits well and provides good support can be worn. Always follow the instructions of your surgeon and don't begin running or other high-impact exercise until you have clearance from your plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com/breast-augmentation_breast_implants.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Surgical bra or sports bra

+1

The choice to use either a sports bra or a surgical bra after surgery is really a personal choice of the physician. I usually have patients obtain a sports bra for post-op care. However, if I am doing surgery at the hospital, patients are often placed into a surgical bra.

+1

RE : "is it safe to wear a sports bra while recovering from breast augmentation surgery, or should I invest in a surgical bra? Does it depend on each person?"

The use of a bra after Breast Augmentation surgery is open to discussion. While many surgeons do recommend their use, many do not.

The purpose of a bra is to support the weight of the breast, added perks (pun intended) may be seen with push up and strapless bras but the basic purpose is to provide support.

While a surgical bra can add more compression, such compression will not really prevent post surgical swelling or bleeding if the patient is non-compliant, the woman took supplements which promote bleeding or the surgical technique was less than careful and gentle.

I prefer NOT to use any bras after the surgery. It allows the implants to stay in the exact location I saw them at the end of surgery instead of keeping the implants in an elevated position and then waiting for them to "drop". I then have my patients wear the bra of their choice.

It is best you check with YOUR Plastic surgeon. Like all of us he will have his own opinion and since he will be doing your surgery you really should comply with his instructions.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Surgical Bra and Sports Bra After Surgery Are Similar, but May Not Be the Same

+1

Surgery bras or compression bras generally are latex free, generate a lot of compression, and have adjustable shoulder straps and back straps.  The adjustability is very important, because as your swelling goes down with time, your surgical bra can accomodate the slight shrinkage of your breasts over the first couple of weeks after surgery. 

Sports bras generate OK to very good compression.  However, not all of them are latex free, so may cause a skin rash if you wear them for long periods of time.  They often do not have any adjustable shoulder straps or back straps, so as your swelling goes down, it may become a little loose.  One strategy is to buy a sports bra that fits right after surgery, with the knowledge that you may have to buy a better fitting sports bra several weeks after your procedure. 

In the end, the choice is yours, but most plastic surgeons will consider a sports bra part of the procedure.  This way, you know you will get a garment that fits you after your breast augmentation.

Best Wishes,

Roy

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.