Pros and Cons of Surgical Bra Vs. Sports Bra After Breast Augmentation?

Is it safe to wear a sports bra while recovering from breast augmentation surgery, or should I invest in a surgical bra? Does it depend on each person?

Breast Augmentation

+2

I prefer a sports bra for the 1st 2 weeks as I commonly use the incision under the breast.  I like the ones with no formed cup as they support the breast but do not rub on the incisions.  After 2 weeks when the wounds are healed any other bras are fine.  I hope this info helps.

BEST BRA AFTER SURGERY

+2

Any comfortable bra works fine.  Avoid wires, bones, and stays for a month.   Its the surgery,  not the bra that counts.    Dr George Commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Surgery bra or sports bra after Breast surgery.

+2

Essentially they are interchangeable.  I find a sports bra provides greater compression if it fits properly, but a surgical bra is easier for the 1st week or 2 after surgery.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Ak the surgeon

+1
I actually prefer that the patients wear no bra for 1 month after surgery.  This will depend completely on the surgeon's experience.  Fit yourself into their system, it is what works for them.

Gary Lawton, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Bras after breast augmentation

+1
You should follow the advice of your plastic surgeon. All plastic surgeons will have a different routine for post operative care. Your plastic surgeon understands your surgery and your anatomy and is in the best position for making this decision.

Surgical Bra VS Sports Bra After Breast Augmentation

+1

In my opinion it really doesn't matter which one you initially wear after surgery because the implants are usually high.  Once the implants have dropped into position you do need a good support bra so that they don't drop too low. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Post-operative bra

+1

Any well fitting bra that provides support and comfort is okay with me.  I have my patients purchase their own bra so they can get a fabric and style they like.  Of course, they need to buy a bra that is stretchy and that has cups that are too large for them pre-opertively.    I recommend a  sports bra that closes in the front.  It's a lot easier than pulling a bra over your head or hooking a bra in the back after you have had surgery.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Surgical bra vs sports bra

+1

Surgical bras tend to have more support while sports bras tend to be more elastic (and less supportive).   In my practice a sports bra is just fine 90% of the time.  Only when I want very precise support is a surgical bra essential.  When revisions are done and implants must sit exactly as I want them to sit, a surgical bra is essential.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Surgical Bra following breast augmentation procedure

+1

Your plastic surgeon should provide a surgical bra for you to wear following breast augmentation surgery.  Your surgical bra is part of the cost of your surgery, like post operative visits. it is VERY important to wear the appropriate bra and to follow the instructions of your surgeon. An ill-fitting bra can contribute to unwanted results after surgery.

Once it is time to start running, a sports bra that fits well and provides good support can be worn. Always follow the instructions of your surgeon and don't begin running or other high-impact exercise until you have clearance from your plastic surgeon.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Surgical bra or sports bra

+1

The choice to use either a sports bra or a surgical bra after surgery is really a personal choice of the physician. I usually have patients obtain a sports bra for post-op care. However, if I am doing surgery at the hospital, patients are often placed into a surgical bra.