Can Breast Augmentation or Anesthesia Have Any Affect on my Menstrual Cycle?

I had a breast augmentation exacly one month ago today. I was supposed to start my menstrual cycle 2 weeks ago and I have not started yet. I am not pregnant, so I am curious if this is normal? Is there any amount of time that I should go and see my doctor if I have not started at a certain time?

I talked to my PS and he said they have had cases of this but I'm just still a little worried I guess because it has been 2 weeks. Any information would be helpful.

Missed period after breast augmentation

+2

Surgery and anesthesia can mess up your cycle, and usually patients will have an early period which is a nuisance, though reassuring. Delays can also happen. We always complete a urine pregnancy the day of surgery and have encountered one or two immaculate conceptions and one surprise over the years. It can be helpful to touch bases with your OB/Gyn, though if you are really sure, wait it out.

peterejohnsonmd

Surgery and Anesthesia can Affect Menstrual Cycles

+1

.My experience even in women as "regular as a clock" with surgery scheduled between periods often start the day before, day of or within a few days after surgery or contrarily can be late or even occasionally result in a missed period as in your case. Even though you are sure you are not pregnant, you should have a  pregnancy test anyway. Contact your gynecologist for further information.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Not Unusual

+1

Any stress can affect the menstrual cycle.

Surgery is a stressful event for the body. Missing a cycle after surgery is not unusual.

• However, if this trend continues you should see your gynecologist.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Surgical Stress can cause Abnormalities in Menstral Cycle: Normal

+1

Any surgery is a stress on your body and can cause your hormone balance to be thrown off. It is not uncommon that your menstral cycle is affected and will return to normal. It is not related to any certain operation or anesthetic, just how a body reacts to surgery. Make sure you are not pregnant, but it should go back to normal in a month. 

Dr. Trussler

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

The answer is yes

+1

Any situacion involving stress (any surgery will do) can cause irregularities of your menstrual period. My recommendation is for you to repeat a pregnancy test in about 1 week. If you are pregnant, the pregnancy test can be negative during the first 2 weeks of the conception, if your last mentrual cycle was 1 month ago, then your ovulation was about 2 weeks ago  so you can be  early, for a pregnancy detection by an urine test. The only 100% certain way to avoid pregnancy is abstinence.

Good luck, hopefully its only the stress of surgery.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and menstrual cycle

+1

Yes, any surgery or trauma to the body can interfere with one's cycle. This can be fairly common.  Additionally, some antibiotics and medicines may interfere with birth control pills, so be extra cautious with this.  Pregnancy tests are routinely performed by most plastic surgeons prior to the procedure.

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon