Which Procedure Would Work Better for the "Spare Tire", Coolsculpting or Smartlipo?

Is Smartlipo a better option for someone who is fairly fit and in good health, but the "roll" sticks around even when weight is lost in other areas?

CoolSculpting is Great for Eliminating Spare Tire

CoolSculpting has become quite well known as an effective fighter of "spare tire." The condition you are describing is exactly what we look for in a good CoolSculpting candidate. A person who is fairly fit and in good health who has stubborn areas of fat that don't respond to diet or exercise is typically a great candidate for CoolSculpting. The best way to know for sure is to have a consultation with a highly experienced CoolSculpting specialist who can evaluate you in person.

Coolsculpting versus liposuction

Assuming you have an expert provider in both solutions, I would say that Smartlipo or even traditional liposuction can outperform Coolsculpting.  As the first plastic surgeon in Houston to adopt Coolsculpting, I am very familiar with the capabilities of what Coolsculpting can do.  I do get very nice results for my patients, but I do know that I get even stronger results using Slimlipo, Vaser lipo, or traditional liposuction.

Coolsculpting or Smartlipo

While I offer both coolsculpting and smartlipo, I prefer coolsculpting for the abdomen due to it being safer and more effective.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Cool Sculpting for the spare tire area

I think I prefer cool Sculpting based on its consistency of results.  The lower abdomen can be treated with a number of applicators.

CoolSculpting Vs. Smart Lipo

Coolsculpting and Smart Lipo are both excellent therapeutic options for managing localized fat of the lower abdomen and flanks. Both procedures offer advantages and the choice of procedure depends on a variety of factors.

Without pictures or a physical exam it’s hard to know which option is best for any given patient. When larger amounts of fat are present, liposuction will most likely yield a superior result. Unfortunately, this procedure may be associated, with more pain and longer recoveries.

When smaller amounts of fat are present, excellent results can occur with coolsculpting with shorter recoveries and less pain in the post-operative period.

If you’re considering treatment of your “Spare tire”, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be appropriate. This surgeon can advise you regarding which procedure is best for you.

Coolsculpting vs. Smartlipo

Whether you should have Coolsculpting or Smartlipo depends on a number of factors. Do you want a non-invasive treatment with no downtime or a minimally invasive treatment with minimal downtime? Since Coolsculpting is a non-invasive treatment there are less risks and downtime. Smartlipo is more powerful but involves surgery and some downtime. 

Ideal candidate for Coolsculpting

When you are fit and in good health and you have a "spare tire" or "love handles" that just will not go down, then you are best candidate for Coolsculpting.  Coolsculpting was designed for exactly this type of problem.  It melts the fat in a given area when you have lost weight everywhere else.  Find an experienced dermatologist in your area since it sounds like you are perfect candidate!

Best Procedure for "Spare Tire"

Thank you for your question. Based on the information you shared, I believe CoolSculpting would be your best option. CoolSculpting is not a weight loss solution for people who are obese, or a substitute for surgical methods such as liposuction. Good candidates have noticeable bulges in certain areas they’d like to get rid of. Of course, your doctor will determine if treatment is right for you during a one-on-one consultation. Best of luck! 

Ideal Candidate for CoolSculpting

It sounds like you may be an ideal candidate for CoolSculpting especially if your are fit and have stubborn areas around your waist.   SmartLipo (or "SlowLipo as I like to call it) is much more invasive and I always combine it with standard suction lipectomy.  I love SmartLipo in the area of the neck, however.  If you want to avoid downtime and time away from your job, life and the gym then I would seek out a certified CoolSculpting physician and see if CoolSculpting is right for you.

Lawrence W. Shaw, MD
Arizona Plastic Surgeon

Lipo vs Coolsculpting

Think of Coolsculpting as liposuction lite.  The patient who is a good candidate for lipo will be a good candidate for Coolsculpting as well.  Any lip procedure, whether conventional, power, smart lipo, or ultrasonic will by definition be more aggressive than Coolsculpting as it is a surgical invasive procedure.  If you are comfortable with a more subtle improvement without surgery go for Coolsculpting, if you want one treatment and are ok with surgeryE dn recovery go for lipo.

Eric Chang, MD