Will Tightening Arm Skin Leave Severe Scars?

I have lost about 100 lbs and I have super loose arms and arm-pit skin to the point that I look like an 80 year old woman and I am only 23.

I really want to get rid of it but am weighing the cost of having a major scar down my arm verses the extra loose skin. Is the scar as bad as people make it out to be? Is there something called and arm pit tuck to tighten the skin between the chest and arm pit?

An Arm Lift is right for you when the idea of the scar is more attractive to you than the loose skin you have

A scar will, ideally, fade over time.  A scar can be carefully camouflaged with makeup, if needed.  But that loose skin can only be hidden by wearing long loose sleeves.  The time to have the arm lift surgery is when the idea of the scar is more attractive to you than continuing to hide the loose hanging skin.  And, yes, there are methods to remove the extra skin near the armpit as well.

Brachioplasty scars

Hello kat 1775.

I would agree with previous posts regarding the quality of brachioplasty scars.  I find that these are some of the poorest quality scars.  This must be well understood prior to surgery.

There are a few tricks to help get the best scar possible

• Avoid closure under excess tension (up to your surgeon)
  • Layered closure taking the tension off of the skin (up to your surgeon)
  • Avoiding significant use for a period of time (6 weeks)
  • Early scar maintenance (Mederma, vitamin E, silicone sheeting)

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Brachioplasty patients are generally delighted

Brachioplasty incisions are generally placed on the inner aspect of the upper arms from the axilla to  elbow.  People with very minimal loose skin,  may  achieve improvement with an axillary incisionan incision brachioplasty.  While the incision is red and visible at first, it fades in time to a thin white line.  Most patients find the scars highly desireable to living with loose skin.  Brachioplasty often gives patients confidence to wear clothing they never considered prior to surgery.  Occasionally, a small area of the incision may not heal as desired.  This is easily revisable with a minor secondary surgery using only local anesthesia. 

Arm lift is a trade for improved arm appearance with a scar

Despite the efforts of generations of surgeons- the scars for arm-lift procedures tend to be some of the poorest quality scars we put on our patients- the inner arm skin is very thin and inelastic- its constantly moving- since its cylindrical, there is always tension on the scar- my experience has been that women with 'skinny' arms with lots of loose skin tend to have more acceptable scars. All of the arm lift revisions I have done for my own patients have been on women with fatty/heavy arms AND loose skin. I stage these patients- lipo first, and then arm lift 3 months later. The short scar arm-lift procedure is only appropriate for patient with laxity limited to the upper 1/3 of the arm.

Scarring after brachioplasty

If you have a large amount of loose, hanging skin in the arms, the only way to really tighten it is to undergo a brachioplasty procedure. The scars are long and typically do not heal as nicely as scars elsewhere. They are placed on the under surface of the arm so they are not visible when your arms are down by your side. It is definitely a trade off -- scars for better arm contour. I would advise you to look at lots of pictures of brachioplasty scars so that you can judge for yourself.

Not all scars are unsightly but in general, these scars are more noticeable than others. If you decide that you do not want to have long arm scars, you can opt to have a more limited form of brachioplasty where the scar is kept in the armpit. However, there is a limit to how much tightening can be done with this shorter incision.

Caroline Min, MD

Scars from a brachioplasty

The scars from a brachioplasty are not great looking narrow scars because the skin in that area is very thin and has poor elasticity. Therefore thy tend to spread wider than other scars. Nevertheless, if you have enough extra skin that it really hangs down the scar will be a good trade off in the opinion of most patients. If your deformity is only moderate or mild, the scar might be worse than the skin excess.

Mini vs Full Brachyplasty

First of all yes the scar down the inside of the arm always tends to be bad. Often it is widened or red or both but occasionally it can be a good scar. In addition to this incision usually an incision in the armpit is also done. What I have done in the past is take out as much skin as I could with the armpit incision only then gone back later and repeated the procedure. This gives almost as good an improvement as the long inside arm incision. Just an idea.

Weight loss and loose arm skin

Congratulations on your weight loss! "Brachioplasty" is the name of tightening of the arm skin surgically and there are different techniques based on how much loose skin and the elasticity of the skin and it's location. The scars secondary to a brachioplasty tend not to heal as well as scars elsewhere in the body. The surgeon tries to place them toward the inside of the arm so they are not seen when your arms are by your side. The scars are a trade off for the reduction in the loose skin. I have had some success with tightening of the arm skin with laser assisted liposculpture (both SmartLipo and ProLipo). You may want to get several opinions, one from the surgical side and the other from the laser assisted side since not all plastic surgeons use the laser. Or find a plastic surgeon who has experience in both techniques and he can examine you and determine which may be best for you based on your goals after weighing the pros and cons of each. If you are looking for improvement and are willing to accept some tightening without the scars, laser assisted treatments may be the way to go. They can also be repeated in about 6 months. Good luck.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Will an arm lift leave bad scars?

Brachioplasty or arm lift surgery is one of the most frequently requested body contouring procedures performed today. The demand for this procedure has increased more than 800% since 1997. This is the greatest percent change of any of the commonly performed cosmetic surgical procedures Much of the increase in popularity is due to the growing number of patients who undergo massive weight loss such as yourself. In performing this procedure an incision is made on the inside of the arm extending from the elbow into the armpit. Sometimes it is necessary to extend the incision further into the armpit and sometimes past it. Utilizing this incision excess skin is removed and the wound is closed. It is very important to position the scar properly so that it is concealed as much as possible. A well-placed incision should result in a scar that is only visible when the arms are raised. This operation is normally performed as an outpatient. It is very important for the surgeon to discuss the resultant scar thoroughly with the patient preoperatively. Very commonly this scar takes a longer time to undergo the full healing and maturation process. Maturation refers to the process whereby the scar becomes less apparent. Brachioplasty scars commonly take up to 2 years to fully mature.
Be sure to select a surgeon board certified by the American Board of plastic surgery who has extensive experience in body contouring. Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mini arm lift

mini arm lift or mini brachioplasty helps correcting excess skin after massive weight loss.

the effectiveness is less than the standard surgery.

it helps remove the upper arm skin excess without treating the elbow area.

it is a good compromise, for the hidden scar

Jacques Haddad, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon