Is Liposuction Required for an Arm Lift?

i hate my underarm flapping skin. Was considering arm lift surgery.  However, it's not clear to me if I'd also need to get liposuction to get results. What is the best way to know ahead of a consultation if it will be necessary?

The Majority of Arm Lift Procedures are Performed Without Liposuction

+1

The vast majority of arm lift procedures are performed without liposuction. Occasionally, liposuction is used to supplement arm lift procedures, but this isn’t necessary in most cases. When patients have significant amounts of upper arm fat and relatively tight skin, liposuction alone is an excellent treatment option.

Before proceeding with cosmetic surgery it’s important to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon. This surgeon can formulate an appropriate treatment plan based on the anatomic deformity and the patient’s aesthetic goals. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Lipo not part of arm lift

+1

There are many causes for flabby arms. Incisions can be very small or large depending on location of fat. If one has flabby arms, the best indicator of the treatment would be the elasticity of the skin.  If the skin has good elasticity, then Liposuction alone may be the answer.  If not, then an arm lift to resect the excess skin is best.  However, the best indication for an arm lift, and the most gratifying are those who have lost a lot of weight.  The skin is usually flabby and overstretched.  It is simple and effective to remove the skin that has been stretched past its capacity.  No Liposuction, or other noninvasive modalitiy will help the skin become more firm around the arms.  The length and type of the incision will vary depending upon the location and the amount of fat in the arms.  The cost will also vary by geographic locale.  Most will run anywhere from $3500-$7000.  I would advise you to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to have treatment recommendations specific to your concerns.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Liposuction Not Needed for all Arm lifts

+1

Although Liposuction is used in most traditional arm lifts it is not required if there is not much fat redundancy. Your plastic surgeon will quickly let you know if this is required.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Liposuction with arm lift

+1

Arm lift procedures frequently involve liposuction as part of the surgical treatment.  Only in situations of massive weight loss is liposuction not necessary.  Otherwise, even a small amount of liposuction can aid in the overall result.  Of course, care must be taken to avoid excess fluid infiltration and excess skin excision that would result in a tight skin closure and eventually a wide scar. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Necessary for Arm Lift?

+1

Liposuction is a tool that may be useful during arm lifting surgery.  It is certainly not “required”.  Whether or not it is used will  depend mostly on your surgeon's  preference. Please make sure you're working with a  board-certified plastic surgeon.

Liposution with an arm lift...

+1

Liposuction is a surgical procedure that removes fat from a specific area of the body.  Unlike liposuction, brachioplasty reduces excess skin, and reshapes your arm to a more toned appearance.  Since you are considering having an arm lift done, liposuction can be done at the same time if needed.  The best way to know what you need for sure is to see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Arm flapping skin and liposuction

+1

I do not commonly combine liposuction with arm lifts.  If your arm is flopping quite a bit, you  may be a better candidate for an arm lift than liposuction.

It depends

+1

most of the time liposuction is done with arm lift where it helps in skin excision and at the same time gives better natural contoure where you can liposuc the areas that your incision will not extend to as the lower arm area 

Nawarah Alarfaj, MD
Saudi Arabia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction during armlifts.

+1

Liposuction will obviously reduce the amount of fat present in a thick upper arm.  However, it will not adequately reduce the laxity associated with excess skin.  Therefore, if lax skin is part of the problem, then liposuction will be used to enhance the result of the traditional arm lift. 

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Arm Lift

+1

Liposuction is often part of the arm lift procedure. The liposuction will remove the fat excess.

In some cases, where skin tone is good and there is not much skin excess, liposuction alone may provide excellent results.

If there is no extra fat, liposuction would not be performed.

For "flapping skin," cutting away the extra skin will be necessary, with or without liposuction.

During examination, your surgeon can determine if there is extra fat requiring liposuction by pinching the skin to assess the thickness of the fat layer.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon