What is the Best Procedure to Fix Hollow Eyes?

I recently had juvederm injected under my eyes as an attempt to fix my hollow eyes.The procedure only seemed to make them worse. Is there any other procedure that could fix my hallow eyes.

Hollow Eyes are Best Treated with Fat Grafting, Be Cautious of Fillers

Thank you for your important question.  Your experience is common as I see many patients who have had Filler Injections to treat Dark Circles or Hollow Eyes and who have felt that the injections make the problem worse.

Problems with Filler Injections around the eyes:

• Poor technique-many doctors doing filler injections do not have experience in eyelid surgery and knowledge of the anatomy. There are a few expert plastic surgeons who can successfully use this technique-you must find an expert
  • Fillers are not permanent, thus repeated injections are required-I am concerned about repeated injections into the eyelid damaging important structures
  • If fillers are not placed properly the action of the eyelid muscle pushes the filler down out of the hollow or depression and make the dark circle worse
  • There is a potential for injection into a blood vessel which can cause blindness-cases have been reported

I use a technique called Open Composite Fat Grafting in which I surgically place a fat graft under direct vision into the proper position to plump the Hollow Eye or Dark Circle. This is NOT Fat Injection or Fat Transfer.

The benefits of Open Composite Fat Grafting to the Eyelid are:

• Accuracy
  • The Fat Graft is a permanent fix
  • The Fat Graft is your own tissue and better accepted by the body
  • The Fat Graft has a beneficial effect on the overlying skin
  • The Fat Graft reconstructs the actual problem

For more detailed information check the link below.

Blepharoplasty, eyelid surgery

Instead of removing fat under the eyes with a eye procedure, I have been repositioning it. This could also help with your hollow eyes.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Best Treatment for Eye Hollows....Restylane by an Experienced Physician

Hi Onlyone,

First of all, Juvederm is a bit too hydrophillic (attracts too much water) to be used in the lower lid hollows.  Restylane is the only filler that I use in this unforgiving and delicate area.  Secondly,"it is not the filler, it's the filler", in other words, your results are due to the person who injected you, not the filler.   Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fixing Hollow Eyes

There is no easy way to fix hollowness of the orbits. Such hollowing is caused by the age-related loss of fat inside the eye socket which causes sinking in of the eye ball into the orbit. This is made worse by a sagging of the cheek exposing the rim of the orbit creating the Tear Trough. While the Tear Trough can be covered with several fillers, increasing volume INSIDE the eye socket is a challenge and can only be accomplished by either bone grafting or placing a plate along the floor of the orbit. These operations are usually done in severe trauma reconstruction cases and not in cosmetic cases.

Dr. Aldea

Options to Fix Hollows Under Eyes

Dermal fillers is typically the best option for hollows under the eyes if the treatment is performed by an experienced and expert physician injector and utilizes a product such as restylane or belotero.

If dermal fillers are not a good option for you, then fat transfer to the hollows under the eyes is a good alternative for the appropriate patient.

Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons who are master injectors to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Balancing the lower eyelid with the cheek

Treating the lower eyelid hollow is one of the most technically challenging areas to treat!!  It is the person treating you not the product that you should be most concerned.  I recommend you consider surgery vs. non surgery. Surgery can include moving the fat around to fill the hollow, with an outpatient procedure that requires a week or two of cosmetic recovery time. Extreme caution for fat injection to this area, as it is very easy to overdo.  Non surgical is the off label use of injectable fillers, several options exist depending on the injector preference.  Remember, if you feel the injection you had made things worse, there is a product that can be injected to erase the effect, called Hyaluronidase.  Go to your nearby expert, ideally a member of the coalition for injectable safety, to make you better!

Julius W. Few, MD

Hollowness of eyelids

Fat grafting can be done by experts and this may help. See a plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Lower Eyelid hollowness

Hollowness under the eye is caused by fat loss due to aging.  Also, cheek descend during the process of aging will enhance the hollowness. Although there is no easy fix, lower eyelid blephraplasty with septum repositioning and fat grafting does work well. I have had good results in several patients with this procedure.

Many options available

Many dermal fillers may be placed in the hollow periorbital areas. Hyaluronic acid fillers are the safest to place, but may cause bluish discoloration if placed superficially. Radiesse may also be placed in the area of the zygomatic arch though care must be taken as to not cause any lumpiness to occur as the filler is quite viscous. Collagen may also be placed, though with the Cosmoderm and Cosmoplast being pulled out of the market, this leaves only Evolence, whuch is quite a thick filler in its own right. Fat may be another option, but also has its risks in causing swelling and some unevenness when placed. Whatever filler is placed, the most important factos is that the physician knows exactly what they're doing and how to deal with complications if they ever occur.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist