Can a Primary Care Doctor - Internal Medicine, Inject Juvederm Fillers and Botox Cosmetic?

What doctors inject should perform filler injection

+2

Physicians should be trained by appropriate residency, fellowship or post graduate courses with live demonstrations. They should be trained by thought leaders in the respective fields. Onca a physician has undergone training that is appropriate , he or she should have the experience and knowledge to treat any potential complication of the treatment they offer.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

As reimbursement from insurance and medicare get less, more doctors will be injecting dermal fillers and Botox

+2

Although legally, any MD, DO, Dentist, Nurse Practitioner, PA (with supervision), can inject Botox and Juvederm, it doesn't mean that they are properly trained, or that you will get a good results.  In life in general, you "get what you pay for".  Same is true with these treatments.  If this is your face, which you wear 24/7, why chance the results with someone that went to a weekend or 2 training session or who does this on the side of his regular practice to make some "extra money".  Go to someone that does this full time, who trained for years on the anatomy of the face.  More importantly, although rare, complications can occur, and at that point, you wished you'd gone to that Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon.  As an aside, "Botox parties" are usually not a good idea either.  The facility is not properly equipted for emergencies, and the lighting and patient chair are suboptimal. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Internists injecting fillers and Botox

+2
Legally, the medical license permits any doctor to perform any medical or surgical treatment. That is not, however, to say that everyone is qualified to do everything or that they have malpractice coverage in the event that they misstep. There are so many board certified plastic surgeons and dermatologists in your area who have extensive training and experience in aesthetic medicine and surgery that I frankly do not understand why any patient would feel comfortable with a doctor who has trained in general medicine. Botox and Juvederm and not the equivalent of flu shots. It is important to know how to inject, where and why NOT to inject and whether any alternatives exist and are more appropriate in treating the patient.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Primary Care Doctor Injecting Juvederm and Botox

+2

"Can a Primary Care Doctor inject Botox?" is a different question than "Should a Primary care Doctor inject Botox?" The answer to the first question is yes, the answer to the second is obviously not.  A Primary Care Doctor has no formal training in injectables, no formal training in facial anatomy, no training in surgical/ nonsurgical aesthetic facial rejuvenation during residency or post-graduate medical education.  Although your Primary care Doctor is likely to be less expensive than your Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon, the results may be unpredictable.  The companies that produce neurotoxins and fillers cannot regulate who they sell their products to and in the State of Florida, a license to practice Medicine allows any Doctor to perform Aesthetic Medicine.  However, I don't deliver babies and I don't take out gallbladders since I don't have any particular expertise in doing so.  The same logic should apply to injectables, but poor reimbursement in medicine has changed the rules.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Physicians of all stripes can inject Botox

+2

In most states, there is no restriction on in-office practices for physicians - internal medicine docs can inject Botox and fillers. This is out of the scope of their training. But some docs get quite good at these procedures. The real question is what would this physician do in case of a severe complication from filler or Botox injection. Could this doc handle that situation. If the answer is no, then I would argue that the physician is practicing out of their scope of practice. Just my opinion.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Who can inject juvederm, fillers and Botox Cosmetic?

+2

Thanks for your question.

Anyone with an MD unfortunately can do anything under our current laws. Community standards often dictate how medicine is practiced.  For example, nothing is preventing a plastic surgeon legally from doing neurosurgery, however a neurosurgeon is much better trained to perform surgery on the brain!

Juvederm, Botox, and other fillers are medical devices that should be performed by properly trained doctors.  In my opinion, the best person for the job is someone who is intimately familiar with the surgical anatomy of the face and body, sort of an inside out approach.  No one is better equipped with that knowledge than a board certified plastic surgeon because of our intensive training and experience especially in craniofacial trauma and reconstructive surgery.

My recommendation is that you choose the best option for yourself, since there are no laws that prevent any medical doctor from doing anything. That will require research on your part and a case by case basis.  Not all doctors are equal when it comes to injectables!

Shankar Lakshman, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Can a primary care Dr or Internist inject Juvederm and Botox?

+1

Legally any physician with a license can inject dermal fillers and Botox but the question is should they? It really depends of training and experience. A License doesn't make you a good injector. It's having an eye and the touch for aesthetics as well as skill and training. Typically a Plastic Surgeon and Dermatologist have advanced training in Skin Rejuvenation methods and placement of product.

Sam Naficy, MD

Internal medicine doctor injecting Restylane, Juvederm or Botox

+1

Certainly, it is allowed for an internist to do cosmetic injections, but wouldn't you rather have the expert's expert do the treatment on you?  Dermatologists and plastic surgeons do the most treatments with fillers and botox. Having a good understanding of the anatomy and how the fillers / botox work help your expert give you a better treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Primary Care Doctors Injecting into the Face

+1

Yes, any MD, Dentist, DO, Nurse Pract. and PA can inject facial fillers as well as products like that of BOTOX Cosmetic. I highly recommend anyone interested in doing any facial rejuvenation should consult with a facial cosmetic surgeon among the other physicians they are considering. We see many patients who have had prior treatments "gone wrong" by doctors who were trained in other areas of the body.

William P. Mack, MD, PA
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dermal Filler Injectors-Qualified Doctors

+1

Legally, yes. Any MD can inject dermal fillers.  However, you will have better results if you see a plastic surgeon or their PA who has extensive training specifically in facial injections.  For example, not only has our PA (who performs most of the dermal filler injections) been extensively trained at our practice, she is an Allergan-certified injector.  Regardless of any plastic surgery procedure you are interested in, choose a doctor that specializes in that procedure.  This will give you the best results.

Norman M. Rowe, MD