What Should I Do to Prevent Scarring from a Facial Scratch?

I went hiking and got scratched on my cheek, near my nose. What should I do or use to prevent scarring? It has scabbed over. It's about 0.4 or 0.5 mm wide, about 1.5 inches long.

Antibiotic ointments and scar fading creams will help

+2

Typically scratches to the face will not result in noticeable scarring. Nevertheless, if one is concerned about minimizing a possible scar, multiple options exist. In the short term, while a scar or laceration is still fresh, antibiotic ointment will help it heal quicker with less scabbing. Options include Bacitracin, Neosporin and Polysporin. Once a facial scratch or laceration is re-epithelialized (healed over on the surface), scar fading creams can be used. While options such as vitamin E and Mederma have received lots of attention, scar fading creams and tapes that contain silicone have the most science behind them. A regimen of using these scar fading creams or silastic tape can be started as recommended by a qualified dermatologists or plastic surgeon. Both can be found over the counter in most pharmacies. 

Greenwood Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial scars

+1

Multiple factors can contribute to developing a scar from an abrasion.

The first factor to consider is the depth of the initial injury.  

if the wound extends into the deep dermis it is more likely to develop a noticeable scar.

In terms of wound care to decrease a possible scar it's probably best to have a physician review your medical history, examine the wound and recommend  a treatment regimen

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keep it clean, protected from the sun and apply antibiotic ointment twice a day.

+1

Keep it clean, protected from the sun and apply antibiotic ointment twice a day and make an appointment immediately with a dermatologist or plastic surgeion who specializes in scar treatment.  Early treatment with lasers may be very helpful.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon