What Can Be Done About my Lip Scar That Will Never Heal?

Dear RealSelf, I have a scar in the middle of my uper lip from a road accident 18 years ago. It is red, raised slightly fibrous underneath and filled with a pool of blood, this does not drain-it comes back. The two layers of skin are separated. It is slightly hypertropic either side. It has never had a chance to heal properly as the blood flow prevents the two layers from meeting. The excess skin is like a hemmorrhoid on the lip What can be done about this? Many, many thanks, Andrew

Blood Blister on the lip

+2

These are quite common, sometimes seen after a known injury, but also arising spontaneously.  The two most commonly used treatments are vascular laser (I agree with pulsed dye as my first choice), and/or excision of the blood blister.  In my experience quite a few laser treatment sessions are often necessary- so I always tell this to the patient  in advance.  In some cases even after spending thousands of dollars on the laser the blood blister doesn't entirely go away.  Surgery also has it's own set of risks and benefits, but should enter into any discussion between you and your doctor during the initial consultation.  I have removed many of these with imperceptible scars afterwards.

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

Red lesions on the skin can sometimes be treated with PDL

+2

The lesion on your lip does indeed look like it may be a blood-organized lesion which means that it may very well respond to a pulsed dye laser.  Not sure if it was truly caused by the accident, it appears that it may be a small hemangioma of some soryt, but either way it may be treated with a pulsed dye laser that focuses on the red blood cells and heats to the point that is damages the lesion and not the surrounding the skin if done appropriately.

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip scars can be removed and improved

+1

This lip scar has some redundant tissue and can benefit from a lip scar revision that can be performed in an outpatient setting. I have attached photos of a lip scar on my link below. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS