How Can I Prevent my Two Front Teeth from Separating?

They recently took off my braces and gave me retainers. I put them on at night and when i wake up they are straight and together. But after a few hours they separate. Is there anything i can do about this?

Frenectomy?

+1

Some people have a small piece of muscle tissue called "maxillary frenum" that is attached from the upper lip and extend to between the two central incisors. If this is significant then you may need to get this frenum reattached by a procedure called "frenectomy". Ask your original orthodontist if this is necessary.

Rockville Orthodontist

Front teeth separating in retention

+1

A very common problem, especially if you started out with a large space between your front teeth.

IN these situations we just bond (glue) a small metal bar on the inside of the front teeth and leave it there for YEARS....simple easy and it solves the problem

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

Preventing upper teeth from separating

+1

The best way to prevent your two teeth from separating would be be get a permanent retainer placed on your upper teeth.  The removable retainer can be adjusted so that you can continue to wear that one at night and have the permanent bonded retainer as well.  The only reasons that you would not be a candidate for a permanent upper retainer would be if you had porcelain crowns or your bite was too deep and you were hitting the retainer with your lower teeth.  Good Luck!!

Scott Vincent, DMD, MS
Sandy Orthodontist