Post Tummy Tuck Compression Garment for Mons Pubis, Which Brands are Best?

Helo Docs, I had a TT 3 weeks ago, my surgeon just had me in an abdominal binder and recommends spanx, however due to the binder rising, my mons pubis looks more swollen. What kind of garments are best? where can I purchase them? Spanx or medical grade? It seems as if the medical grade ones are expensive and only for the first 6 wks. so I would be paying $100 for 3 weeks.

Doctor Answers (5)

Compression garment after tummy tuck to reduce swellling of mons


I would look for something with more compression than Spanx. The medical grade garments are worth the money because they apply the compression where needed.   You can go to Sears or Nordstroms and look for a high waisted heavy weight girdle that has a tummy panel that extends down to the crotch.  You can use a pad over the mons to apply additional compression there.  However it is extremely important to show your surgeon, because too much pressure creasing in at the waist or on the skin just above the scar can harm the blood supply and affect wound healing, injure skin, or cause irregularity in contour.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Tummy Tuck


I always use Spanxx, they put enough pressure, are cheaper and look better. So I would suggest those

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Mons pubis swelling will subside



The swelling in your mons pubis will be the last to go away largely because there is no compression there and there is compression above the mons.  There are many companies that sell compression garments that will place pressure on that area including marina medical products, but I suspect spanks will do just fine.

All the best,

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

You might also like...

Pubic swelling after tummy tuck


Swelling in the mons pubis is common after tummy tuck, and even more so after liposuction in the abdomen. Gravity and the fact that most binders do not support your bottom pushes the swelling down into the mons. You don't need a special garment, and the Spanx will do. For those in an abdominal binder, a snug underpant or spandex short can help. The swelling is awkward but is gone in a week or two.

Best of luck,

Peter E. Johnson, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Tummy Tuck - Post Tummy Tuck Compression Garment for Mons Pubis, Which Brands are Best?


That's a tough area to apply directed compression.

I would advise using Spanx or something similar (ie, less expensive), inserting a pad to apply specific compression and, finally, making sure with your plastic surgeon that whatever you're planning to do is okay.  It can take a long time for swelling to be absorbed from this highly vascular and dependent (lower down) area.  Sometimes, direct drainage of the area (ie, leaving a drain in place after lipo) may be beneficial but not always and, anyway, this is after the fact

For now, a less expensive garment is probably more than adequate.  Either way, though, check with your PS to be sure.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 151 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.