OB/GYN Doing Tummy Tuck?

I am having a gynecological procedure done in a month, and the ob/gyn has offered to do a tummy tuck at the same time. I have heard great things from other people. I am nervous...he doesn't do lipo or belly button work. He said he only deals with the lower abdomen. My main issue is my lower abdo. I feel like I look 5 months pregnant, it has that shape,and it hangs. Its the only place my extra weight is. so would this work? what about the belly button? how does it really work?

Plastic Surgery Without Training?

+3
As a plastic surgeon I would not presume that I could deliver a baby or perform a hysterectomy like your gynecologist. Why would your gynecologist think that he is qualified to do a tummy tuck? Its a foolhardy undertaking by your Ob/Gyn and not in your best interest.

Ob/Gyn doing my tummy tuck

+3

Four simple words to remember when choosing your Cosmetic Surgeon: Board Certified PLASTIC SURGEON. I cannot stress this enough. 

Christian Prada, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Sounds like not a best idea - consult wirth a board certified plastic surgeon

+2

We hear recently a lot about ob/gyn surgeons and other specialists doing procedures that should be only done by a board certified plastic surgeons. Many patients see the opportunity to combine procedures, but they do not realize that the outcome of some surgeries can be not so good after all. In many cases the procedures done by not certified plastic surgeons are offered at the lower cost to the patient. Is it worth  the risk?  Make sure to look at all pros and cons before you make a decision. Judging from your question you are not adequately informed and need a real consultation with a plastic surgeon

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

OB/GYN doing tummy tuck??

+2

Thank you for your question!  I would have to agree with the previous responses.  If you intuition is telling you that there just isn't something right about having your OB perform this procedure, I would always trust your gut instincts.  There are specialties in medicine for a reason. I say this especially because, on most occasions, a plastic surgeon would be happy to collaborate with your OB/GYN to perform one joint surgery.  I have done it on many occasions for patients who do not want to undergo two separate operations. That way, you can rest easy knowing that you are in the best possible hands for the job.  Best of luck to you!

Tanya Aya Atagi, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Having a gynecological procedure done, the ob/gyn has offered to do a tummy tuck at the same time

+1
This seems like it is asking for trouble. Gynecologists are not trained to do tummy tucks, just as plastic surgeons are not trained to perform hysterectomies. While any surgeon can watch a YouTube video on Abdominoplasty and then attempt to perform one, there are many nuances to this procedure to get a good result that only a Royal College certified plastic surgeon (or Board Certified in the US) will understand. A lower abdominoplasty has very limited indications and chances are that even if your excess tissue is limited to the lower abdomen you may still need a full abdominoplasty. I would be very weary of someone who happens to be offering a procedure that is rarely performed simply because that is the only procedure they are comfortable performing. I would also be concerned having an operation performed by someone who can't manage the potential complications - if something happens, your ob/gyn will end up referring you to a plastic surgeon!

If your ob/gyne works in a hospital, there should be a plastic surgeon there who would gladly come in after your gynaecological procedure to perform the tummy tuck during the same anaesthetic. You should find your local plastic surgeon and have a proper consultation before deciding on anything!

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Have your tummy tuck with a plastic surgeon, not an Ob Gyn

+1

I strongly encourage women to have babies delivered/gynecologic procedures performed by an Ob Gyn, and to have plastic surgery procedures performed by a board certified plastic surgeon.  Gynecologic procedures/delivering a baby are very different procedures from a tummy tuck.  Only plastic surgeons are fully trained in tummy tuck procedures.

I advise you to meet with at least one board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your situation in more detail. I wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

OB/GYN Doing Tummy Tuck

+1

Generally, patients will intuitively know the right surgeon for them. If you are unsure, then it is a sign that you may wish to consult further for the tummy tuck. Consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to explore your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Do not allow your OB/GYN to do your tummy tuck

+1

I would highly discourage you from having your tummy tuck performed by a gynecologist who is not trained in plastic surgery. This procedure should only be done by a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or the Royal College of Plastic Surgeons.

The fact that he doesn't "do lipo or belly button work" is a sign that he is not trained in this procedure.

Be careful.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Tummy tuck by surgeon not certified in plastic surgery?

+1

Consult a board certified plastic surgeon and have your abdominoplasty procedure at the same time as your gynecological procedure. If you look five months pregnant, you need not only a skin excision, but also muscle tightening to achieve the best result.

Donna Rich, MD

OB/GYN's are trained to do your "gyne" surgery.

+1

You really have a number of excellent Plastic Surgeons in Kelowna and it would be worth your while to have a consultation with one of them to get some perspective on the choices that you have. If your OB/GYN is offering you the removal of some of your extra lower abdominal skin then this is quite a bit different than what Plastic Surgeons offer under the general description of a "tummy tuck". Take the time to get properly informed.

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon