Post Radiesse Swelling and Hardness Normal 1 Day Post Op?

I had Radiesse injected 24 hrs ago. I had cheekbone area, nasolabial folds done and also around my mouth and chin to fix rough texture due to collagen loss and mild acne scarring. Overall, I am happy with the way everything looks so far. I just have two areas I am concerned about-there is a bit of uneveness at the top of the cheekbones-could be due to swelling? There is also a small, semi-solid lump in the chin area. Its a little sore and I can feel it more than see it. Is this normal?

Radiesse swelling

+2

Your post op course sounds entirely normal at this point.  Radiesse does cause a fair amount of temporay swelling.  Additionally it is often palpable around bony areas like the chin and jaw.  The swelling will reside within the next several days.  Don't make a judgement about your results for at least two weeks.  Best to you.

Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling and hardness from Radiesse

+2

Typical side effects associated with Radiesse injections include bruising, redness, swelling and pain. These occur in as high as 90% of patients and usually resolve within one week. It is possible that some of these side effects may be affected by the injection techniques such as fan like injections, higher injection volumes, and more rapid injection times. Give things more time before becoming concerned. And of course, please ignore advice, such as that below, from plastic surgeons suggesting you only see a plastic surgeon.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+2

I have used Radiesse and Perlane on many patients for facial contouring and shaping.  Radiesse does, IMHO, have a tendency to look a bit lumpy and bumpy for several days even after it's smoothed and feathered into the proper aesthetic shape.  For this reason, I now use Perlane for shaping the Cheeks.  Perlane is also my preferred filler for the nasolabial folds and marrionette lines, although I will use Radiesse here as well.  

Radiesse is quite thick and when placed too close to the top of the cheek may show more prominently due to the thin tissue in that area.  I tend to avoid placing thicker fillers like Perlane or Radiesse within about 3/8's of an inch or so from the top of the cheek to avoid that issue.  Aesthetically, the anterior, mid and lower sections, of the cheek, are the areas best suited for contouring and shaping.  Be sure that the MD, you select, for your facial shaping/contouring with fillers understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.

Bruising after Radiesse

+2
What you are describing sounds like normal post-procedure swelling. You can ice the area (and should have done that beginning yesterday) to ameliorate it. Some areas, especially over bone, bruise more than others so you'd need to give it some time before there would be reason for concern.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Radiesse Swelling

+2

One day after filler injections is too early to get concerned.  If you post before and after pictures, we may be able to give you more advice.  However, mild swelling for a day or so is normal.  If you do have any concerns, you should follow up with your injector.  And of course, my recommendation is always a board certified plastic surgeon.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD