Can Post CO2 Laser Treatment Hyperpigmentation Be Treated? If So, How?

Treatment and prevention of skin pigmentation after Fractional CO2 laser skin resurfacing

+1
In my Santa Monica and Beverly Hills plastic surgery practice, I place my Fractional CO2 and chemical peel patients on a periprocedural skincare regimen that includes MelaClenz, Melarase AM, and Melarase PM.  Melarase AM contains four active sunscreens that block UVA and UVB radiation as well as skin lighteners.  Melarase PM contains skin lighteners and enzyme blockers that minimize postinflammatory hyperpigmentation.  

Pigmentation

+1

First ask your doctor. Otherwise consult a qualified medical ski care professional/ Lightening creams are your best bet here.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Hyperpigmentation following CO2 laser treatment

+1

While it is not a common event to have hyperpigmentation following either traditional CO2 resurfacing or fractional CO2 resurfacing, it is not uncommon.  Factors that influence post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation include your skin color, type of procedure, healing time, location on the body treated, sun exposure and skin care.  First, make sure to see your doctor that performed the treatment so they know what is happening.  They can place you on topical creams that will help to decrease pigment formation and to help decrease the pigment that has already formed.  Prescription strength hydroquinone, often combined with retin A and a steroid, tends to work the best.  Other types of lightening creams can be used in combination with the hydroquinone to achieve maximal results.  Other types of treatments such as peels, microdermabrasions, etc can also be added depending on the location and response to topical treatments.  Strict sun avoidance is important to prevent the pigmentation from getting worse.  Good luck!

Karyn Grossman, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon