Yellow Discharge After Breast Uplift Surgery

Approx 3 weeks ago I had uplift breast surgery. Stitches were removed 1 week ago. My right breast has widend the vertical cut and is now discharging yellow liquid. What does this mean? Is it infected? Do I need to get stitches again? Will the skin continue to spread apart? Help!

Seperation in vertical scar.

+1

The vertical portion  of your scar seems to have a seperation.  You should call your surgeon and have this looked at.  It needs to be cared for properly to avoid infection.

Wound separation (dehiscence) following a breast lift

+1

You have a separation of the incision with the yellow fluid representing tissue fluid. This is not infected ... yet. You should contact your plastic surgeon who can then assess your situation and take the appropriate course of action. When properly treated, these can heal fairly rapidly without the need for additional sutures

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

You need to see your doctor

+1
You have opening of the incision and it may turn to infection if not treated. Please call your doctor and let him or her treat you.Do you have implants?

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Separation of incision

+1

It looks like form your photos that you have a small area of dehiscence of the incision. This is what is likely causing the drainage on the gauze.  I would follow your doctor's directions in terms of care.

+1

Thanks for the posted photos. My best advise Go/no RUN to see your chosen surgeon for care. You are just south of an infection. Get care. From MIAMI Dr. darryl J. Blinski

Yellow discharge after breast lift

+1

It doesn't look infected, but you do have breakdown of the vertical part of the scar.  You need to make sure that your surgeon is aware of this and he or she should be able to manage things and get an acceptable outcome.  I would not recommend resuturing, but you will need dressings for a while.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breat lift healing issues are uncommon

+1

Without the benefit of an exam, I would say that you at least have superficial separation of the vertical portion of your breast lift.  With appropriate care, this type of 'delayed wound healing' does heal with an acceptable cosmetic result- perhaps a slightly widened scar which can be revised later. Make sure your surgeon is seeing you on a weekly basis until you heal.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS