How to Word Desired Outcome to Doctors? (photo)

It is time for my wide nose, I really need help on what to ask the doctor. I want nice defined shadowing along my bridge (if that makes sense), very defined and slightly up turned tip. Please help

Communicating concerns about your nose.

+1

Hi Parisjaberri. I think that what you have said is a good place to start; your surgeon should help you define things further. I agree that it is helpful to bring photos of noses that may resemble yours but with a result that you find attractive. The Vectra 3D imager that we use is a good way to look at those things that you like about your nose and those that you want to change while viewing the potential result on your face. You should then be able to refine those characteristics that you like. See an experienced surgeon that provides realistic expectations and can listen and communicate your concerns with you. There are certain characteristics that are desirable in a male nose versus a female nose and the way the nose relates to the face too.  

How to communicate your desired rhinoplasty changes

+1

It helps your surgeon to know what specifically you want changed (and left alone) with your rhinoplasty surgery. Bringing in photos of other similar nose you like also helps.

It sounds like you have some specific ideas in mind already which is very helpful. I perform digital morphing during the office visit to further illustrate what potential changes can be made and to allow us to decide what works and what doesn't.

You can learn more about the rhinoplasty consultation at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Computer simulation an assist with rhinoplasty conversations

+1

I think a good first step would be to meet within a plastic surgeon in your area who can photography you and provide some computer simulations of potential rhinoplasty outcomes. These simulations can start the conversation about what you are trying to achieve with your rhinoplasty procedure.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Computer imaging is a great way for doctors and patients to communicate mututal goals

+1

One of the most advantageous uses for computer imaging is for doctors to demonstrate potential results. However, it is also a great discussion tool for patients to reflect on potential changes. I encourage feedback during the consultation so that we can make sure we are on the same page. Vectra 3-D imaging takes this discussion one step further.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Communication with your surgeon is the key in rhinoplasty

+1

It is best to try to be very specific what  your goals are regarding your own nose  and present that to your  Rhinoplasty surgeon.  Your surgeon can talk about what changes can be made to the bridge, the tip, the nostrils,  side and three-quarter profiles. Communication with your surgeon is very important to understand what can AND cannot be accomplished  with the rhinoplasty procedure. Computer imaging is also available on  our website  on the link below to give you an idea what your new nose might look like. 

Communicating Desired Rhinoplasty Results with Surgeon

+1

The best way to communicate with your surgeon is to be clear about your desired results and then to visually see them on a computer where he/she can morph (or change) your photo to show you what you may look like after surgery.  In my office, we use 3-dimensional imaging to give our patients an idea of what they might look like after surgery from all different angles.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can help you achieve the goals you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Communication with your surgeon

+1

A few tips on communication with your surgeon:

1. Create a list of what you don't like about your nose
  2. Bring photos of noses you like and try to express the reason why you like them and what you like about them
  3. Ask your surgeon to do simulations of your rhinoplasty results

Sam Naficy, MD

Video imaging a better way to communicate with the surgeon.

+1

Video imaging is an excellent way for the patient and surgeon to communicate with one another when considering anticipated surgical results.

Describing your ideal nose

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  When discussing your desired goal with your plastic surgeon you will generally focus several key areas including the dorsum (height and width), the width of your nose in front profile, the size and shape of the tip of your nose, the length of your nose, the angle of your columella, and the relation of the tip of your nose to the dorsum of your nose.  I would bring some photos that can help communicate what you like or dont like.  Your plastic surgeon may use 3D imagery or draw on your photo to aid discussion.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

How to Word Desired Outcome to Doctors?

+1

Dear Paris,

Thank you for your question and photo.  My advise is to be as honest as possible with your surgeon.  Having the surgeon use photo modification software to manipulate your photo to get a better understanding of your desires is helpful.  My critique of your nose: I agree with the nasal dorsum, it seems to have very little shape.  Giving you definitive ridges will make this masculine.  You tip also needs sculpting to make it more narrow and in line with your new dorsum.  Your tip is already 'up turned', so I would not go any further with that.  This can feminize your nose too much.

PAblo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon