Porcelain Crown Question

I am getting a porcelain crown on my front tooth (inscisor). How long does a porcelain crown last, on average? Does it last as long as a porcelain veneer? Will I eventually need an implant?

Life Expectancy of a crown or veneer?

This is a great question that I am asked routinely at my office.  As with any procedure, there are going to be pros and cons to veneers vs. crowns and longevity is one of the major concerns my patients are worried about.  There is an average life expectancy for crowns of around 15 years.  The average for a veneer may range around 7-10 years.  However, these numbers can be deceiving due to several reasons.

A patient's home care and regular checkups are going to affect the longevity of any restoration.  For instance, a patient who has great home care (brushing twice daily as well as routine flossing) can expect, on average, to get more time out of their restorations than someone with poor home care.  One of the main reasons for crown/veneer failure is due to a cavity/decay occurring at the margins of the restoration.  Good home care helps to prevent decay from occurring under the margins and allows the crown/veneer to remain in place for a longer period of time.

The difference in longevity between a veneer and crown is due to several factors:

1.  A veneer is thinner and does not have a supportive element underneath to provide strength.  This leads to a higher fracture rate for veneers that would necessitate replacement.

2.  Veneers have a higher rate of becoming debonded or "popping off".  This is due to the difference between the flex of the tooth and the non-flex of a rigid veneer.  This would necessitate the need to recement or rebond the veneer, or possibly replace.

3.  Veneers have mainly "supra-gingival" margins (exposed, not hidden under the gum tissue).  There is a higher rate of decay that can occur with these margins when compared to those that are hidden under the gums.

The main advantage veneers provide is that they conserve more tooth structure than crowns.  Some new age veneers require no or minimal removal of tooth structure.  

I hope this helps

How long will porcelain veneers and crowns last?

Porcelain crowns or porcelain veneers can last a very long time. Mine have been in for more than 10 years and they look as good as the day they were placed. But there is a responsibility that goes with that. A human element.  Dental  restorations take care and maintenance. You must manage plaque. You must be sure to brush and floss. They do not like to be abused. Don't be using your teeth for things that teeth are not to be used for. Destructive habits or behavior will destroy enamel and porcelain alike.  Today's advanced porcelains are very strong but not indestructible. Bacterial plaque and abuse will cut short the life of your crowns and veneers. It's mostly up to you how long they last.

Ted Murray, DDS
Dubuque Dentist

Life Expectancy of a Crown/Veneer

Crowns and veneers are made from Empress porcelain. With proper home care and and strict adherence to you dentists instructions (don't chew ice, don't bite your nails, wear a night guard if needed to prevent the adverse effects of grinding your teeth) porcelain restoration should last an average of 10 – 15 years. Implants are only needed to replace teeth that are hopeless to restore.

Benjamin S. Fiss, DDS
Chicago Dentist

How long does a porcelain crown last?

A porcelain crown or porcelain veneer, properly manufactured and bonded, should last 20 years or more. A crown is used when a tooth is compromised by wear, fracture, decay, large fillings, or root canal. A veneer is used for more conservative reasons, usually esthetic. If you tooth is healthy, you should not be thinking about an implant. 

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Dentist

A crown can last for the rest of your life.

First I would recommend you make sure your tooth really needs a crown.  Unless a great deal of the tooth is missing or previously restored it is possible that a veneer which wraps around the tooth a litte more than a regular veneer will work better cosmetically.  In any case a crown or a veneer if done correctly and maintained properly can last the rest of your life. You should not need an implant as a crown or veneer has nothing to do with needing to replace the root of the tooth; which is what an implant's purpose is.

Porcelain crowns are VERY durable

You should expect a porcelain crown to last as long as the alternatives, a veneer or porcelain fused to metal crown.  While the crown won't be bulletproof, it is extremely strong.  If cleaned and maintained like it should, it is possible it could last the rest of your life.

Not all crowns end up leading to implants, so odds are that this won't happen with you.  The question is more, why the need for the crown to begin with?  If the treatment is heroic, then perhaps an implant IS in your future.  Without an exam and x-rays, I could only guess.

Porcelain crown vs porcelain veneer

Porcelain crowns do last as long as veneers assuming you take care of it like any other dental work, i.e. good oral hygiene is imperative for your teeth and dental work to last. Will you eventually need an implant? It all depends on the quality of dental work AND your dental hygiene and maintanance. Seeing a hygienist on a routine basis will make your teeth last a lifetime.

Michael Ayzin, DDS
Costa Mesa Dentist

Crowns last a good 10-15 years..

No you will not need an implant in the future,but you may need to replace the crown at some point.. Make sure you bleach your teeth first before the crown color is picked , that way you'll have a beautiful smile and a new crown to match it...

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Dentist