Can Exiting Crowns Be Sculpted, then Polished?

I had new poreclin crowns done for my front teeth 3 months ago, but 2 of those crowns look bulky from the sides is there a way to sculpt the front down a little and then polish it to look shiny again like the rest of the crowns? please help. Thank you

Yes crowns can be sculpted and repolished.

+1

I personally dont like to do that when possible because I like to have the original glaze on them,but in dentistry we have to do things in office sometimes to make the crown look and fit better...

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Recountour and polish porcelain crowns

+1

Yes, absolutely! The crowns can be carefully countoured and then polished using a diamond paste and they will glow like new.

San Jose Cosmetic Dentist

Contouring crowns can help improve the shape of them.

+1

You absolutely can improve on the shape of your crowns by contouring them.  There are some limitations.  Some crowns are made and then a thin layer of stain is applied to get the color desired.  Other times the color is integral to the ceramic.  If the crown has a thin layer of surface stain, and you remove it, the color may be changed in the area adjusted.  Most of the time, it won't take much to make a big difference in the appearance.  The big thing is to be sure you've got the right dentist doing this for you.  Best of luck to you in perfecting your smile!

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Yes, crowns can be sculpted and polished in the mouth.

+1

As long as the thickness of the porcelain is adequate and you are happy with the color of the crowns a good cosmetic dentist can reshape and repolish a bulky veneer or crown to give and excellent result.  If the thickness of the porcelain is too thin because the preparation of the teeth was not adequate, sculpting may make the underlying prepared tooth visible and require that the teeth be prepared adequately and the crowns replaced so that they are not too bulky.  I would suggest that you return to the dentist who placed the crowns originally to have any reshaping done for this reason. 

Wilton Cosmetic Dentist

Minor porcelain contouring CAN be done on crowns and veneers

+1

However, depending on the material, there can be a limit to how much can be done.  If there is a metal substructure, aggressive contouring can expose the metal.  Also, the polish may not get as shiny and smooth as if they were left untouched.  It might get very close, but if may be difficult.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/html/veneers-seattle.html

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist