Plastic Surgeon or General Surgeon for Cyst/Lipoma Removal?

I have a kind of Cyst/lipoma on my SCALP which my Dermatologist couldn't really diagnose exactly what it is. He suspects its a bit different and we can know more about it only when its removed surgically. he referred me to a general Surgeon, but i read a -ve feedback of that surgeon for 1 of the patient cyst removal in neck. My Dr also gave me an option of Plastic surgeon if i don't want the general surgeon. both have 25+ years of experience. whom should i got to? i have appointment next week.

+2

Among your dermatologist, general surgeon or plastic surgeon, they should all be well qualified to remove the cyst. If your dermatologist does not want to remove the cyst and you're left to choose between a plastic surgeon and general surgeon they will probably both do a great job. The aesthetic result provided by the plastic surgeon should be superior given their unique skillset and attention to detail. Similarly, dermatologists usually provide very pleasing results with this type of soft tissue procedure. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of Cyst from Scalp

+2

I am surprised your dermatologist wasn't comfortable doing this himself as this is something that dermatologists typically do. I remove all different cysts from the scalp routinely.  Occasionally, I will request the patient get imaging done first to check the cyst and the size before removing it.  So to answer your question, I think either should do a good job and it should be routine for either a dermatologist, plastic surgeon or general surgeon. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Scalp Lesion (Lipoma) Removal

+1

Thank you for your question. Any qualified facial plastic surgeon, general plastic surgeon, or general surgeon with experience operating in the head and scalp can take care of your lipoma. The aesthetic result is always important, so I would recommend discussing the closure method with your surgeon before proceeding. Best of luck1

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cyst/Lipoma Removal

+1

Either a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon would be fine to remove a cyst on the scalp.

Marilyn Pelias, MD
New Orleans General Surgeon

Lipoma

+1

I am a plastic surgeon and I feel we are best to do these smaller excisions with the best aesthetic result

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS