I Have a Cyst on my Lip That Was a Result of a Juvederm Injection?

It has been almost 2 years and it has not gone away. The doctor who injected me says that he needs to remove it surgically as an outpatient procedure. He says injecting it with a "solution" will not work. I'm afraid of scarring and want to know if it is better for me to live with it or if this is a "successful not noticeable scarring operation".

Post Juvederm Cyst

+1

Thank you for your question. Cysts are very common and they are benign growths. That can be left alone or excised. If you want the best scar possible, I would recommend obtaining a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to review all of your options. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Removal of Cyst or Juvederm in lip?

+1

I agree with Dr Barankin.  It makes sense to try Hyaluronidase first, before cutting anything. Juvederm can last 2 years, so it it very likely to be product and not a cyst. On the other hand it is easy to remove with Hyaluronidase so it's worth a try. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Cyst on the lip following juvederm injection

+1

It is difficult to say whether the "cyst" you have is really just juvederm product that has lumped together. I think it is both reasonable and safe to have your physician inject you with hyaluronidase, and if it doesn't greatly improve after 2 weeks, then to consider cutting out the cyst or to try and puncture it and drain its contents.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Cyst on lip after Juvederm

+1

If you have a photo, that would be helpful here. The solution to which you are referring is hyaluronidase, which does only work to dissolve the HA filler itself. If you have some type of cyst or skin nodule, yes, it cannot be dissolved with hyaluronidase as it doesn't contain the filler itself. But to comment on whether you should undergo this procedure or not, it would be helpful to know how large the cyst is and where on the lip it's located. Many lip procedures are very easy and it's easy to hide any scarring there. I remove a great deal of silicone or other "permanent" injectables put in peoples' lips and can hide most of the scars very easily.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD